Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Oh-kantoku Announces Retirement

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Oh-kantoku Announces Retirement
After losing to Nippon Ham this afternoon, Oh-kantoku gave a press conference at a local Fukuoka hotel announcing that he intends to retire after the end of this season. SoftBank's owner and the club president both asked Oh-kantoku to be manger for life yesterday (Monday, September 22, 2008).

This press conference appears to be his answer.

The press conference is going on as I type this. Oh-kantoku mentioned repeatedly that the players have appeared concerned about their manager's health on frequent occasions this season. He would rather the players concentrate on their play on the field than in his health.

I'm sure there will be further reports on this development later.
Comments
Re: Oh-kantoku Announces Retirement
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 23, 2008 10:32 PM | YBS Fan ]

More detailed information in English is now available from this Kyodo News story [Japan Ball].
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Sep 27, 2008 6:04 PM ]

Well, I was never a fan of Oh, but too bad his players couldn't send him out with a better performance. They are now last in the PL, which I think few people would have predicted.
[ Author: bankjuanballpark | Posted: Oct 10, 2008 7:20 AM ]

It is a shame that he couldn't play in the Majors! So long Oh-kantoku!
[ Author: Guest: Number 26 | Posted: Oct 10, 2008 5:02 PM ]

Oh is a living legend. I have always been a fan of Oh for some reason. However, what I want to know though is whether or not he really did tell the pitchers not to pitch to Randy Bass and others who were near breaking the single season home run record which Oh held. Whether this was a demand from Oh himself or the pitchers making the decision to pitch out themselves due to the respect they had towards Oh. This controversy will always be hanging over his head, unfortunately. But despite this, Oh will be one of the most respected players in Japan for many years to come.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Oct 10, 2008 8:43 PM | HAN Fan ]

Oh has his dark side. He didn't tell his pitchers not to pitch to Randy Bass or others, but he made sure that they didn't. To be honest he is a man without honor, but manages to convey the impression that he has honor. Nagashima was always more genuine than Oh.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 12, 2008 3:06 PM ]

Ouch!
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Oct 12, 2008 11:27 PM ]

Regarding the Oh controversy, many older Japanese have told me it was people higher up telling Oh not to let Bass break the record. So, the chain of command could have been the old boys telling Oh to tell his pitchers not to pitch to Bass. Not sure we'll ever know the whole truth. The fact that Oh's teams repeated this against Rhodes and Cabrera does make it harder to believe Oh's side of the story.

However, it is a long, unfortunate tradition in NPB to continuously walk opposing batters in home run races, so we can't place all the blame on Oh.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.