Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Saitama Seibu Lions - Nippon Ichi

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Saitama Seibu Lions - Nippon Ichi
The Saitama Seibu Lions just took Game 7 of the 2008 Nippon Series against the Yomiuri Giants for the Japan Championship by a score of 3-2. A fine come from behind victory for the Lions.

Full report will be with filed in Pro Yakyu This Week tomorrow.
Comments
Re: Saitama Seibu Lions - Nippon Ichi
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Nov 9, 2008 10:02 PM ]

Amazing! I thought after the Lions lost the last home game they missed their chance. Plus, they left so many runners on base that I thought it would come back to haunt them. Finally, they made the strange move of starting Nishiguchi and I thought they blew it then too! But they overcame all that for an awesome win. Well, it's still bittersweet considering this should have been the Tigers' year, but watching the Giants lose was very fun too!
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Nov 10, 2008 4:59 AM | HT Fan ]

I got to see about four innings before nodding off, and I thought the Giants had a pretty good edge on Seibu. In any case, I'm just glad the Series went 7 games. This was definitely one of the closer series's in recent memory.

I've collected some content on the series on NPB Tracker. Hope you enjoy it.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Nov 9, 2008 10:36 PM | NIP Fan ]

Darn -- I got to an Internet connection to discuss the aftermath but you'd already closed the chat room!

Man, that was a nail biter -- I watched the game with a friend and we still didn't quite believe the Giants were going to lose until that final ground out, it was so close.

Glad to see Kishi get the MVP. He really did carry the team for those two games -- they would not have made it without him.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 10, 2008 9:48 AM | YBS Fan ]

Sorry about that. I had caught a cold being out with our softball team winning the ku taikai championship (or first Fall victory in about 10 years) in the cold rain all day and really needed to get some rest. So I shut down (the chat room and myself) soon after everyone left.

Look forward to the Asia Series in doors.
[ Author: Jingu Bleacher Bum | Posted: Nov 10, 2008 12:52 AM | YAK Fan ]

What an amazing game 7! That was one of the better Nippon Series I've seen so far. Congratulations to Seibu, and to the Giants for playing such good baseball.

Westbaystars-san, I just emailed you with some pictures of the celebration and fans in front of Tokorozawa station. Please feel free to post them here, or where ever you like.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 10, 2008 9:39 AM | YBS Fan ]

Here are the images along with explanations that Jingu Bleacher Bum had sent. Hope you enjoy them.

Left: Top of the 8th inning, before Seibu took the lead. You can see somewhat of a crowd forming in front of the TV that Seibu put up at the West exit of the station.

Right:After Seibu took the lead 3-2 in the top of the 8th, some workers were preparing a celebration ball to open from the roof of the station.

Left: Right after Seibu won the Series. You can see a few more people in the crowd now.

Right: After the doage and interviews, Seibu brought out a Kurumazake barrel and handed out a free cup of sake to everyone that wanted one.
(If you look closely to the left of the TV, you'll see a cat. I asked about this, and it's like Seibu's good luck cat. At one point during the game the cat got a little freaked out and climbed up one of the poles outside of the station, but they were able to bring it back down safely. After the sake was being handed out and all the cheering had somewhat died down, the cat mellowed out.)

Left: Here's the banner that came out of the celebration ball hung from the roof of the station. Here you can see a lot more people as well. Too bad I couldn't get a 360 shot to show all the people that spilled into the roundabout in front of the station. Overall I'd estimate about 6-700 people were there at the end of the game.
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Nov 10, 2008 1:02 AM | YOK Fan ]

Funny that you should mention the Tigers. I was at Seibu Dome watching the game on the big screen today and I happened to see a girl wearing a Toritani Tigers jersey and she also had a towel with her. I thought that was very strange that she would wear that to the Seibu Dome, where everyone was cheering for the Lions.

I would also like to say congratulations to the Saitama Seibu Lions on winning the Japan Series. I look forward to cheering for you next week (and forever more) in the Asia Series, and I will be forever be thankful because now I don't have to put on those other colors.

It was totally awesome seeing the Giants lose today and seeing them stand there and watch Seibu take the prize and all the glory on their home turf.
[ Author: jimmy1138 | Posted: Nov 10, 2008 1:20 AM ]

The Giants' offense scored less than 2 runs per game at Tokyo Dome. Being unable to put Abe in the lineup and having a slumping Lee right in the middle was obviously too much for them. In game 6 and 7 they had like 4 innings when they had a guy at third with less than 2 outs.

With all the money they spend this kind of offensive production and lack of timely hitting is a shame.
[ Author: Guest: N 26 | Posted: Nov 10, 2008 1:26 AM ]

The Nabe-Q shuffle. Lions did not have much of a bull pen so Nabe-Q was shuffling around with the pitchers, bringing starters into relief and it worked. The Lions' bull pen could not be any more stretched than it already was. Nabe-Q's pitcher rotation was anything but orthodox. In a regular season it would never have worked, but in a short series like this one it proved to be a good move.

Hara, on the other hand, played the more conservative style of baseball like in a regular season. When you look back at game 7. Hara should have changed Ochi earlier. He already looked shaky by hitting Kataoka in the top of the inning. Perhaps he could have put in Kroon, or a starter such as Uehara?

Congratulations Saitama Seibu Lions and Watanabe-Kantoku. Not bad when you think this is his first season as manager and the Lions ended in 5th last year.
[ Author: Guest: Pat | Posted: Nov 10, 2008 10:04 PM ]

- Hara should have changed Ochi earlier. He already looked shaky by hitting Kataoka in the top of the inning. Perhaps he could have put in Kroon, or a starter such as Uehara?

My thoughts precisely. It was obvious Ochi had run out of steam. Everyone's available to play in Game 7, including starters. Hara had plenty of arms there. I don't know what he was saving them for.
[ Author: Jgribbins | Posted: Nov 10, 2008 5:41 AM | HT Fan ]

I enjoyed watching every game on Justin TV! Both teams played hard. I think Seibu's pitching staff really put forth a heroic effort the last two games at Tokyo Dome!
[ Author: Guest: zman | Posted: Nov 10, 2008 1:35 PM ]

Gribbins,

You are right. The real story of the last two games was the incredible pitching by Seibu. The Giants got two hits last night. That's it.

Also what was most impressive was the calm of the Seibu team, a tribute to the coach.

The Giants choked as all the pressure was on them since they have the all star line-up with the highest team salary and the huge media spotlight. Lose games 6 and 7 at home, wow! Somewhat like the Yankee collapse against the Red Sox in 2004, but not quite that bad.

Congrats to the Lions, they deserved to win.
[ Author: Jgribbins | Posted: Nov 11, 2008 4:57 AM | HT Fan ]

I agree, most of the moves the Lions made in the last two games, worked! The Giants could not follow suit. Hara waited too long to make a move on the pitcher, what was he waiting for?
Pro Yakyu This Week
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 10, 2008 1:55 PM | YBS Fan ]

I'm afraid that this cold has got me, and I'm not going to be able to do a broadcast today. Hopefully I'll have enough energy to prepare and broadcast (on top of my normal work load) tomorrow (Tuesday).

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Re: Pro Yakyu This Week
[ Author: Jgribbins | Posted: Nov 11, 2008 11:07 AM | HT Fan ]

Take your time. Feel better and thanks for all you do!
Hara for WBC Manager
[ Author: Guest: guest | Posted: Nov 11, 2008 9:19 PM ]

After seeing some of Hara's strange moves, the Old Boys must be sucking their teeth now and worrying about if he's really the right choice for the WBC.
Re: Hara for WBC Manager
[ Author: No.1BayFan | Posted: Nov 19, 2008 3:18 PM | YOK Fan ]

In answer to your question: Yes, Hara is the right choice to manage Japan's WBC Team, partly because no one else stepped up (literally) when they were called. Playing any sport on an international level and representing your country does strange things to people I would say.
[ Author: Brad BT | Posted: Nov 19, 2008 4:24 AM | SEI Fan ]

I hate to say it, but I missed it all because of the flu bug I got from my brother. But I'm happy to see Seibu win the Climax Series. And for the Hanshin fans, there is always next year. (Hey, I'm also a Boston Red Sox fan. Try waiting 86 years like my family did.)
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.