Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Stop Motion Wind Ups to be Banned from 2006

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Stop Motion Wind Ups to be Banned from 2006
Beginning next season, NPB will be banning wind-ups that have a stop, or more than one clear motion. Some pitchers in NPB, like Rakuten's Hisashi Iwakuma and Yokohama's Daisuke Miura, have a stop in their wind-up to the plate with no runners on, but NPB will not allow this any more, beginning with the 2006 season. According to this snippet from the NPB Baseball Regulation, Rule 8.01 (a), "A pitcher must not change or stop his motion when pitching to the batter, and must complete the pitch."

Source: Nikkan Sports (Japanese only)
Comments
Re: Stop Motion Wind Ups to be Banned from 2006
[ Author: Samurai Gratz | Posted: Apr 28, 2005 12:36 AM | HC Fan ]

As I recall, there was similar discussion about Akinori Otsuka's "interrupted delivery" when he first came to MLB with the San Diego Padres. Here's a link to a news story from May 2, 2004 on the Padres' home page at MLB: [Link]

Upon rereading it, it sounds like the challenging Mets had more of a problem with him taking the ball out of his glove and returning it during his wind-up, but don't I remember him also sort of pausing before firing the ball?

MLB finally ruled Otsuka was doing nothing wrong - as long as there were no runners on base. (With runners on, it constitutes a balk.) If the bases are empty, once a pitcher's motion has begun he can, as Manager Bruce Bochy argued, do pretty much whatever he wants with his hands.

Perhaps this new NPB rule will streamline some of those funky Japanese deliveries we see coming over to America and avoid more controversy, but I for one enjoy the strange deliveries pitchers come up with. Japanese pitchers seem to be especially creative, but there are others like the Florida Marlins' Dontrelle Willis who make an art out of disguising the ball as they deliver it. Seems to me that's just part of the pitcher's game.
[ Author: Guest: Dave | Posted: Dec 5, 2014 5:45 AM ]

[Revival of old thread.]

Were stop motions actually banned? They continue today (2014).
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Apr 28, 2005 2:50 AM | HT Fan ]

Interesting article. I found it hard to suppress a guffaw at the part that said "[The rules currently] prohibit any pitching motion in which the pitcher intentionally interrupts the motion or performs it in stages. However, in recent years, the number of pitchers such as Yokohama's Miura and Rakuten's Iwakuma who have pitching forms that it would not be out of line to call 'two-stage pitching motions' has increased".
[ Author: daijnj | Posted: Apr 28, 2005 11:06 AM | FSH Fan ]

I think it is about time. Many Japanese pitchers actually have two stops in their motion: one after they step back to begin the windup, then one at the balance point in the middle of the windup.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.