Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kanji for Suketto

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Kanji for Suketto
I'm sure that those of you familiar with the CPBL (Taiwan's professional league) are aware that all players have kanji names, even the foreigners. Furthermore, the naming conventions [East Windup Chronicle] have been somewhat "creative" over the years.

Well, Nikkan Sports today (July 30, 2009) reports that the three games at Kyocera Dome with Orix hosting Lotte will sport "Feudal Era" names for the Buffaloes' foreign players on the scoreboard. Names will be:
  • Rhodes: 狼主
  • Alex (Cabrera): 亜力士
  • (Jose) Mayo (Fernandez): 摩夜
  • LaRocca: 羅六華
  • Vogelsong: 防具流尊
  • Lester: 礼星
Hold on with that last one! They're using ei-yomi (as opposed to on-yomi or kun-yomi), kind of like how I use 西湾 for my own official hanko.

Nonetheless, they've got a good poster for the event as well on the Buffafloes' official site, depicting the foreigners as a band of samurai.
Comments
Re: Kanji for Suketto
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Jul 30, 2009 1:42 PM | HT Fan ]

That's actually Jon Leicester at the end there. And that's pretty cool.

There was some talk about registering Sherman Obando's name in Kanji back when he was playing. I guess it would be 大番堂 or something.

I use 鳩゜陸 as a gag, though not in any official capacity. Note the "maru" next to "hato." Those of you who know my real name will get it.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Aug 2, 2009 12:56 AM | NIP Fan ]

They've actually used that one for Rhodes for a while! I remember seeing it on the boards at the Kyocera Dome last year and thinking it was interesting. That's kind of cool that they made up names for the other foreign players as well.

(Hmm... I'm not sure the use of star for "leice-STAR" is quite the same as what you're doing with your name though, as it's more like the meaning rather than the pronunciation, right?)
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 4, 2009 5:11 PM | YBS Fan ]

- [...] I'm not sure the use of star for "leice-STAR" is quite the same as what you're doing with your name though [...]

Right. Not quite the same. But still using the Kanji's ei-yomi (英読み) in an interesting way.
[ Author: number9 | Posted: Aug 8, 2009 4:40 AM ]

CPBL inspired, perhaps?
http://eastwindupchronicle.com/amorous-feelings-weird-chinese-names-of-former-cpbl-players/
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.