Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Number Retirement?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Number Retirement?
I've heard a lot of teams having "honored numbers," and it seems like those numbers are still in circulation. I know that Yakult has retired Furuta's #27, and I think that Nankai/Daiei/SoftBank retired Katsuya Nomura's number, but I don't know any more off the top of my head. Aside from that, are there any true retired numbers for Japanese teams?
Comments
Re: Number Retirement?
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Aug 3, 2009 7:58 PM | HAN Fan ]

Tigers have three retired numbers 10, 11, 23.
Re: Number Retirement?
[ Author: Rocksfan | Posted: Aug 5, 2009 1:38 AM | CHU Fan ]

Retired numbers by team:
Giants: 1 (Oh), 3 (Nagashima), 4 (Toshio Kurosawa), 14 (Sawamura), 16 (Kawakami), 34 (Masaichi Kaneda)
Dragons: 10 (Tsuguhiro Hattori), 15 (Michio Nishizawa)
Tigers: 10 (Fumio Fujimura), 11 (Minoru Murayama), 23 (Yoshio Yoshida)
Carp: 3 (Sachio Kinugasa), 8 (Koji Yamamoto)
Baystars: 100 (Team)
Fighters: 100 (Yoshinori Ohkoso, former chairman)
Golden Eagles: 10 (fans)

Some teams have "honored" numbers which aren't necessarily not used by anyone else. Here's the list:
Carp: 7 (Kenjiro Nomura), 20 (Manabu Kitabeppu)
Swallows: 1 (Tsutomu Wakamatsu), 8 (Katsuo Ohsugi), 27 (Furuta)
Marines: 26 (fans)
Hawks: 2 (Kenji Johjima), 15 (Masao Fujii), 90 (manga character Yasutake Kageura)
Fighters: 86 (Keiji Ohsawa)

The 2001 BBM baseball card set featured a subset containing cards for all the then retired uniform numbers.

(Got most of this info from wikipedia.)

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.