Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japanese Board Games?

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Japanese Board Games?
Are there any games in Japan that are similar to APBA or Strat-o-Matic?
Comments
Re: Japanese Board Games?
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Oct 30, 2010 4:28 PM | NIP Fan ]

You know, there definitely are, but I don't know that much about them, sadly. I've seen people play them from time to time in various baseball-related settings.

A few years ago I was at Hichori Morimoto's parents' yakiniku restaurant and a whole bunch of guys were playing this Strat-o-matic-like game with dice and cards and all kinds of stuff, and they even had a big game board they set up with players on it. I have a photo of it at the bottom of this blog entry. I'm not sure if the board was something homegrown or something from a real game, though.
Re: Japanese Board Games?
[ Author: Rocksfan | Posted: Nov 1, 2010 10:25 PM | CHU Fan ]

The Takara corporation used to produce sets of baseball cards that could be used in a board game that used dice to determine the outcome. I wrote a blog entry about it here.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think the collectible card games that Konami and others put out currently are modeled on real baseball.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.