Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japan Series extra innings

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
Japan Series extra innings
Quite an epic Japan Series with the back to back extra inning games. Was just wondering what the record was for extra inning games in a Japan Series. I've been watching Japanese baseball for over ten years and can't remember anything quite like this.

On a related note, if there had been a game 8, would it have been played at Nagoya Dome? I wasn't clear about that and also would seem unfair.
Comments
Re: Japan Series extra innings
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Nov 9, 2010 8:34 PM ]

15 innings are the new record in the Series.

Game 8 would have been in Nagoya. Game 9 would have been in Chiba with an off-day following game 8. Unfair? Maybe. I think it had to do with some scheduling issues.
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Nov 10, 2010 12:14 PM ]

Yes, 5 home games to 3 would have been unfair, but a game 8 is not something you would exactly expect.

Thanks for the info before. But I wasn't asking about the longest game played, but rather the record for most extra inning games in a Japan Series. Has there been more than 2 before?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Nov 11, 2010 10:06 AM ]

- Has there been more than 2 before?

Are you skipping the case of 2 ties?

2 ties happened only once in 1975 (Hankyu (4-0-2) Hiroshima) and that is the record.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Nov 12, 2010 9:59 AM | NIP Fan ]

Ten years and a Hanshin fan and you forgot the back-to-back extra-inning games (both of which Hanshin won in 10 innings) in the 2003 Japan Series? Shame on you.

I knew about one particularly ridiculous Japan Series in 1962 because it was the only one the Fighters won in their first 55 years of existence, there were 3 extra inning games and one tie and the Fighters (then the Toei Flyers) won Game 7 in 12 innings.

But other than that, no, so I just went and looked up the rest of these. Here are the years that there were extra-inning games in the Japan Series:

4 : 1992
3: 1962, 1995, 2010
2: 1950, 1970, 1975, 1986, 1994, 2003
1: 1953, 1955, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1961, 1965, 1966, 1969, 1973, 1974, 1976, 1977, 1980, 1983, 1988, 1996, 1997

(Tie game years: 1957, 1962, 1975 (2), 1986, 2010)

So as you can see, extra-inning games themselves are not rare, but MANY extra-inning games is fairly rare, AND in the last 10 years there haven't really been many extra inning games in the Japan Series at all. And clearly tie games is a BIG rarity. I think it may have something to do with how the length of tie games has changed over the years as well.

1992 was a fascinating Japan Series to look back at; 4 extra inning games with no ties. Seibu won all of the normal-length games, Yakult won 3 of the extra-inning games but then lost Game 7 at home. And their 3 extra-inning wins were all on home runs -- a walkoff grand slam by Toru Sugiura in Game 1, a solo homer by Takahiro "Bun-bun Maru" Ikeyama in Game 5, and a walkoff homer by Shinji Hata in Game 6.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Nov 12, 2010 12:02 PM | NIP Fan ]

Err -- don't I look silly. That is, the 1962 Japan Series had 4 extra-inning games, 3 were normal and 1 was a tie. So 4 extra-inning games in a Japan Series actually happened twice, in 1962 and 1992. My count got messed up with ties somehow when I threw it all into a spreadsheet.

I also didn't include the tie game in the 1953 Japan Series where the game got called 2-2 after 8 innings due to severe rain, because it wasn't a full-length extra-inning game...

(Westbay, do you have better data on all this sitting around? I just kinda scrounged it up off the NPB site hastily.)
[ Author: Guest: gotigersredsox | Posted: Nov 12, 2010 5:01 PM ]

Yes, I am ashamed of not knowing that Hanshin series had two extra inning games! But I have the excuse of living in New Zealand then, so I couldn't follow the series at all!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.