Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

how would an aging us baseball blayer market himself to a japanese team.

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
how would an aging us baseball blayer market himself to a japanese team.
Hello

I am doing a presentation at university on Japanese baseball.

I need some guidance in the following area

How would an aging us baseball player market himself to a japanese team?

Can you help
Kind Regards my e-mail address is kn711@gre.ac.uk

Comments
Looking to Play in Japan
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 25, 2001 12:22 PM | YBS Fan ]

I would guess that, like a younger player, he'd have to start by getting an agent with experience in Japan. This thread covers the subject.

Writing a FAQ is increasingly becoming my top priority this off season.
Re: how would an aging us baseball blayer market himself to a japanese team
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 1, 2001 10:24 AM | YBS Fan ]

Since you asked the question again, I guess the above answer wasn't enough.

First of all, for further research, you might want to contact an agent. This thread had mention from somebody who knows an agent. (I wonder if he isn't going to regret mentioning that after so many referrals.)

But more toward your point. What age do you consider "aging" to be above? Aging ball players will most likely have a harder time marketing themselves.

Of the oldest 50 players in my database for 2001 (as of several weeks before opening day), foreign players include:

1. Luis Lopez (HC) 1964.09.01 and
2. Frank Bolick (CLM) 1966.06.28

Actually veteran Yasuaki Taihoh, from Taiwan (born 1963.11.15) is the oldest "foreign player," however, he entered through channels that exclude him from the foreign limits back in 1989 - still quite a bit younger. Bolick joined the Marines in 1999, and Lopez first joined Hiroshima in 1996, still on the young side, I believe.

Julio Franco (born 1961.08.23) had a great season for Lotte in 1995, but refused to resign after Valentine-kantoku was released. He then returned to the team in 1998 at the ripe age of 37. Many in the front office felt that Franco was beyond his prime, and they didn't resign him for 1999, even though he was one of the most popular players on the 1998 team. (I think that the memories he invoked of the Valentine incident was more of a factor in his release than his age, but...)

On an interesting side note, the Yokohama BayStars, in last year's draft, drafted 29/30 year old Shintaro Takeshita (1971.07.10), making him the second oldest rookie ever this past season.

Does this answer your question better?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.