Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

The marketing side of Japanese baseball

Discussion in the Ask the Commish forum
The marketing side of Japanese baseball
Hi commish, im a marketing student studying a case study on japanese baseball and i was hoping you can be of help. I was wondering why U.S. entrepreneurs and agents would be interested in japanese baseball players and also, can trade in baseball be seen as an example of trade in services? If so how might this be?

Thanks
sewaoluderu@hotmail.com
Comments
Re: The marketing side of Japanese baseball
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 27, 2001 9:51 AM | YBS Fan ]

> I was wondering why U.S. entrepreneurs
> and agents would be interested in japanese baseball
> players [...]

Well, agents would be interested because there are some pretty good ball players over here. Also, many consider that expansion and social changes (more kids playing video games than throwing a ball around) have dilluded the tallent pool in the U.S., requiring that scouts turn to South America and Asia for more tallent.

From an entrepreneur's stand point, MLB is trying to expand their markets world wide. The Mets vs. Cubs series opening the season in Japan a couple of years ago was one step to break further into the Japanese market than the few players had aided before that. But Ichiro's playing every day was a gold mine to Seattle and MLB, putting MLB on the front page of the daily sports tabloids more often than the dometic game.

> [...] can trade in baseball be seen as an
> example of trade in services? If so how might this
> be?

I'm afraid that I don't understand what you're asking here. I'm a computer programmer and baseball fan and don't really know much about marketing and/or business terms.

As for getting in contact with an agent for more information (asked in a related post), the only contact I can give you is in this thread.
Re: The marketing side of Japanese baseball
[ Author: Guest: Bridget | Posted: Aug 28, 2004 4:08 AM ]

Hi,

I have to write a report about how they sell baseball in Japan and the United States. Marketing Strategies - if you already found out something, maybe you could help me with some information about this.

Thanks.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.