Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Why do American Columnists Make Excuses for Their Losing?

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Why do American Columnists Make Excuses for Their Losing?
[Moved from "Open Talk."]

From http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AvlQX0IDliwe8JhH2EP5cmMRvLYF?slug=jp-useloses031409&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

- The World Baseball Classic is a farce. There's no other way to put it. As much great baseball as it showcases, and as much as it means to other countries, until the United States starts treating the games as something more than exhibitions, the American public will continue to ignore it, and rightfully so.

Oh please. I like how he implies that the WBC is joke because USA is losing. And since they, team USA, are losing, it only means that they take the WBC like some meaningless exhibition game.
Comments
Re: Why do American Columnists Make Excuses for Their Losing?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 16, 2009 12:26 AM | YBS Fan ]

I didn't activate the link because I really don't like passing on hits to that poor excuse for a human being, Jeff Passan. Of course, you're all welcome to cut and paste the URL if you really want to see his drivel.

From what I've seen, the North American press is fairly evenly divided. There are those who think it's a waste of time and an injury risk for the teams who pay these guys' salaries. And there are those who think it's the greatest thing for the further globalizing baseball. It all depends on which sites you frequent. (This is an age when people often choose where they get their news from based on who echoes their personal views - personalized news.)

When my Dad came over this afternoon, he was very concerned about Team USA being blown out by Puerto Rico. I reassured him that the second round is another double-elimination tournament, and that seemed to relive him, to know that the U.S. still had a chance to redeem themselves.

There are those who care, and there are those who don't. Ratings in each country will depend on how far each country makes it in this tournament. If the U.S. is eliminated early, then I expect low ratings in the U.S. for the rest of the tournament. Same with Japan. People here will tune in for the Japan games, but if eliminate in this round, the final will only be watched by a handful of true believers. Everyone else will move over to normal pre-season coverage.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 19, 2009 6:04 PM ]

- I really don't like passing on hits to that poor excuse for a human being, Jeff Passan.

Westbaystars, I know you have a limited amount of time, but if you read the whole article, Passan is all for Team USA to put in much more effort for the overall good of WBC.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 19, 2009 9:12 PM | YBS Fan ]

You are correct, infimum-san. I commented based on the original question. After reading the whole article (after posting), I found it not to be as bad as the original "Guest" made it sound. But I still don't care for Passan's writing.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.