Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Post-Season MLB-NPB games?

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Post-Season MLB-NPB games?
It's been a lousy season for this Torakichi. Without even mentioning the collapse of the Tigers, it looks like a much-anticipated visit to Japan will not happen until the end of September when all the games are pretty much over. But I'm wondering if anyone knows if there are any plans for MLB to send a team over for exhibition games vs. NPB teams, either in October-November 2009, or spring 2010? Not sure where to glean this info, if it even exists. Thanks all.
Comments
Re: Post-Season MLB-NPB games?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jul 27, 2009 8:07 PM | YBS Fan ]

The Nichi-Bei series has been eliminated with the advent of the World Baseball Classic, so there are no plans for any such tours any more.

I suppose that an MLB team may come over to Japan on their own (and on their own dime for a change) to play exhibition games that they setup with individual teams rather than all star teams. Holding clinics with amateur or independent league teams for good will would also be a possibility.

But I doubt that any such thing will happen.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Jul 30, 2009 1:43 PM | HT Fan ]

I really miss the old Nichi-Bei Series.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Aug 13, 2009 10:51 AM | SFT Fan ]

Well, the initial cooperation in developing the first WBC was very poor between the JBPBA and MLB, which if I remember right had many difficulties.

As for what Westbay-san said, with the WBC (World Baseball Classic) there are no plans to bring the Nichi-Bei back. Now if MLB wanted to send a league champion to face a NPB champion in a best of 7 series like Bobby Valentine called for a while back, I be more interested. The Nichi-Bei really didn't seem like a whole team effort and more of just All Stars' against, well, All Stars. And I've never been a fan of the MLB All Star game either, so that's why I'd rather see both league champions play. Though, of course the MLBPA would cry because it would have to play past October into possibly November and someone would have to make it worthwhile for them to play in such a series, like by offering money. Sad, but that's the only way I see the MLBPA going along with Michael's idea.

Also, as Michael mentioned, if MLB did have some clinics with amateur or industrial teams it would do some goodwill.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.