Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Valentine in Line to Manage the Marlins

Discussion in the Nichi-Bei forum
Valentine in Line to Manage the Marlins
It looks as though there is a strong possibility that Bobby Valentine will be the new manager of the Marlins after their trip to Puerto Rico. He is friends with the owner and there is a rumour he will get four years. That would be a substantial investment for the team in the bottom three in payroll, as well as the team that just fired a manager after an 87 (89?) win season.

Some reading if you like:

Valentine backs away from the Orioles (good call imo).
Gonzalez fired, contains info on Valentine.

Rodriguez is mid term manager, for now....

Rob Neyer gives his opinion.

Jon Heyman on SI.com wonders about the stability factor and whether Valentine is willing to take the job, but I don't think he has a great argument.

It is true though, that Valentine's stock is high and he is a stong candidate for the numerous openings this year.
Comments
Re: Valentine in Line to Manage the Marlins
[ Author: gotigersredsox | Posted: Jun 28, 2010 11:40 PM ]

Seemed like a done deal, but Valentine is now ruled out as managing the Marlins. I'm really curious what's going on behind closed doors, as Bobby's come very close to getting some managing positions back in MLB and none of them have panned out.
Re: Valentine in Line to Manage the Marlins
[ Author: AllenWakanaka | Posted: Jun 29, 2010 9:28 AM | HAN Fan ]

Yeah it seems really strange. Usually where there is smoke there is fire, but it seems the media got ahead of itself a little bit. I wouldn't rule it out completely, but it now seems like the interm manager has the inside track.

From ESPN baseball tonight, yesterday...

"My belief is that both want to manage again. Bobby told me Sunday that his greatest accomplishment while in uniform was managing the Chiba Lotte Marines to a Japan and then an Asia League championship. It was the first time in 31 years Chiba Lotte won it all. "

Who knows. I have a soft spot for him though after watching him fearlessly butcher the Japanese language in front the whole country. I hope it works out.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.