Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kuo Chien-yu's Story

Discussion in the CPBL News forum
Kuo Chien-yu's Story
When Kuo Chien-yu was a child growing up in Pingtung he would always follow his older brother. So when his brother decided to play baseball he did the same.

When the Chinese Professional Baseball League rolled into town for a game Kuo and his teammates would be bat boys. At the time the CPBL was at the height of its popularity. "At the time baseball players were very famous," remembers Kuo. "They were like gods. Picking up their bats was an incredible honour. I hoped that when I grew up I would also become a baseball star."

While picking up bats Kuo had the opportunity to see Chang Tai-shan, Yeh Chun-chang and Huang Kou-lung, three pillars of the great Wei-chuan Dragons team. "Ten years ago I could only watch them play baseball from afar," Kuo says. "Nowadays I play baseball with them - it is like a dream."

Kuo could throw 146 km/h consistently with a slider and a forkball. But the truth is Kuo wanted to be a hitter. As an amateur he was a No. 4 hitter - he could hit, run and play defense. "There was a certain delight to seeing a pitcher sigh after getting a hit off him," says Kuo. To him pitching was not the same.

While attending Culture University, Kuo was a hitter. He would pitch occasionally. However, in his third year, Kuo sprained his right ankle while running a base. The injury took five full months to heal. Fearing his running and defense would suffer Kuo became a pitcher. He reckoned it would only be temporary.

On the eve of graduation Yu Sheng-ming, who was working at Truth University at the time, came to Kuo's school and served as a guest coach for the baseball team. While Kuo was throwing in the bullpen Yu came over and gave him some advice. They would meet again in the future.

In 2007 Kuo was drafted by the President Lions. After throwing 50 pitches in the bullpen he felt numbness in his right arm. He thought it was because of the cold weather and that rest would be sufficient. However, the pain became severe enough that he had to consult a physician. Only then was he diagnosed with an inflamed right elbow tendon.

Becoming a hitter was always Kuo's goal. He believed in his hitting, running and defense. In 2008 he batted .315 with 11 stolen bases in 32 games with the Lions minor league club. He hoped that he would make the Lions as an outfielder. However management decided that the team had enough depth in the outfield and released Kuo.

After packing up his bags and heading home to Pingtung, Kuo did not have the nerve to tell his parents that he was released by the Lions. "I was prepared to return to an amateur team and help out in the family business," recalls Kuo. "But I was not resigned to give up on the CPBL without giving it a shot." A few days later he turned to the Sinon Bulls.

Packing a few bats Kuo headed to the Bulls autumn camp. He thought there was an opportunity in the outfield but Yu Sheng-ming, now the Bulls manager, had other plans. "He said that unless I hit like Chang Chien-ming I should become a pitcher," says Kuo. "He gave me three days to think it over."

Those three days would be the most agonizing days of his life. He had always wanted to be a hitter. However there were many good outfielders in the CPBL. Good pitchers were a rare commodity.

Three days later Kuo took Yu's advice and decided to focus on pitching. In the autumn and spring camps to follow Kuo would throw 146 km/h and he would earn the respect of Bulls general manager Liu Chi-sheng who said that he would be a player to keep an eye on.

On March 29, 2009, Kuo made his debut in relief of Itsuki Shoda. He surrendered one run and struck out four batters in 2.2 innings. His fastball was clocked at 148 km/h.

As of June 1 Kuo is 1-0 with a 5.27 ERA in 12 games. He is grateful for the opportunity and holds no resentment towards the Lions. His release opened up another road for him.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.