Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kuwata to MLB?

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Kuwata to MLB?
It's all over the news over here in the U.S.

38 year old, Masumi Kuwata is getting offers from numerous teams, including the Pirates, Red Sox, and Indians!

Is this just a publicity stunt to draw more overseas interest to these teams? Does he have the ability to help an MLB team at his age? All I know is that he was a fan favorite for many years with Kyojin. I would like to hear what everyone thinks about this news.
Comments
Re: Kuwata to MLB?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Dec 12, 2006 11:36 PM | YBS Fan ]

Well, he wants to continue playing ball, but nobody will talk to him in Japan. (That's the down side to being a Giant for 20 years, if the Giants say you're done, you're done.)

I believe that all of the offers he's getting are for minor league deals. With the large number of minor league teams in North America, there's plenty of room for a former NPB star to finish out his career.

I really like Kuwata, and wish him the best.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 13, 2006 5:23 AM ]

I think MLB GMs will get better results from signing Nomo than having Kuwata.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 13, 2006 10:32 AM ]

He's about to be signed by Boston, minor league deal.

The Boston Red Sox are lining up a move for veteran former Yomiuri Giants right-hander Masumi Kuwata, major league sources revealed Monday.
[ Author: Guest: Nikoshiba | Posted: Dec 13, 2006 6:56 PM ]

By the way, how about Hideo Nomo? Is his arm is OK, now? In July I heard that him and his agent, Don Namura, were looking for a Major League franchise, but no news!

I hope that the Tornado will spin a last time on the ballparks, but it'll be difficult, it seems.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.