Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Mets Interested in Kuroda

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Mets Interested in Kuroda
One New York paper said the Mets are interested in H. Kuroda. I looked at his stats which are very good, though not gaudy. I'm not sure he will be posted. What kind of stuff does he throw? Thank you.
Comments
Re: Mets Interested in Kuroda
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Nov 10, 2007 1:42 AM | SFT Fan ]

Kuroda doesn't have to be posted, so that will make him way more attractive to MLB teams. He had a opt-out in his contract that allows him to leave to sign with a MLB team.

Secondly, he pitched in one of the most hitter friendly parks in NPB, Hiroshima Municipal Stadium, whose dimensions are 300, 380, and 300 from left to right (all in feet). [Hiroshima Carp Team Information - Japan Baseball Daily]

Seeing as Municipal Stadium is a such a hitter friendly park, I think he'll be okay at Shea.

Here [Youtube] is a video of Kuroda from the All Star game this year.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Nov 12, 2007 3:25 AM ]

Thanks. That really is a bandbox of a stadium and Shea is much more pitcher friendly.

I saw some good placement in that video. He seems to be a ground ball pitcher, though that last pitch on the video, high down the middle, would have been creamed in MLB. I think he is going to have to watch that if he comes over, but the Mets like ground-ball pitchers. His heater seems to be only 88 mph, so he'll have to finesse his stuff. If he comes over touted as a #4 starter, he won't have a lot of pressure and I think he will be more than a competent pitcher in MLB. He ought to make at least double his NPB pay in MLB, with no posting fee.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Nov 14, 2007 12:35 PM | CLM Fan ]

Kuroda has the same velocity on his fast ball as Matsuzaka.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Nov 19, 2007 10:55 AM ]

I have read a scouting report on Kuroda which lists his fastball as average to slightly above. Dice-K throws harder around 94 mph, don't you think?
[ Author: Dan Miceli | Posted: Nov 19, 2007 4:40 PM ]

I don't think Kuroda throws consistently as hard as Matsuzaka does. I think his fastball rates a little above average for MLB, but most definitely not someone you would expect to regularly pump it up to 150/152 km/hr.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Nov 21, 2007 12:09 PM | CLM Fan ]

Kuroda will throw around 92 MPH. Matsuzaka tops his fastball just a bit higher, but they'll hover around the same area on a consistent basis.
[ Author: Guest: M's Fan | Posted: Nov 14, 2007 5:14 AM ]

I think you could see Hiroki Kuroda in a Mariners uniform. Safeco is a pitcher friendly park. Kuroda would have an easier transition to the majors with the help of Mariners catcher Kenji Johjima. M's also acquired one of the best pitching coaches in MLB, Mel Stottlemyre. Seattle is also desperate for a #3 or #4 starter.
[ Author: Guest: puddin head | Posted: Nov 20, 2007 6:52 PM ]

If Kuroda comes to the Mets or Phillies, he'd be pitching in the National League with no DH (just like the Central League). The AL with those monster lineups could be brutal.
[ Author: Guest: Ed Kranepool | Posted: Nov 25, 2007 12:20 PM ]

The jungle drums suggest he is going to the Mariners.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.