Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Could Valentine be M’s Manager?

Discussion in the Rumor Mill forum
Could Valentine be M’s Manager?
Larry Larue writes in The News Tribune about rumors that the Seattle Mariners' owner Hiroshi Yamauchi is pushing for Bobby Valentine to become the team's new manager.
Comments
Re: Could Valentine be M’s Manager?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 6, 2008 9:26 AM | YBS Fan ]

In my best Senator Stevens impression: No!

At least not for 2009. Please ask again after his contract has expired after next season.

Re: Could Valentine be M's Manager?
[ Author: Guest: T Moore | Posted: Nov 7, 2008 6:07 AM ]

A good idea for the club. They need a strong manager at this point. I've never been a Bobby's World fan, but perhaps he has grown a bit.

I really feel the Ms are the natural club for Japanese players. Now why not coaches?

First, it's the closest to home. A true one day flight. You should have seen the tourist groups pour in to see Dice-K. Hundreds of fans. They were not easy tickets to get either (as bad a the M's were).

Second, the team is Japanese owned.

Third, the team has established speaking players in place (I have always felt the Johjima signing was driven by the proximity of the NPB and Darvish). Had Badard not been injured I think he would have been moved. And then the stops would have been pulled out in pursuit of a young ace.
Re: Could Valentine be M’s Manager?
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Nov 11, 2008 9:35 PM | SFT Fan ]

Let's put this to rest straight from the source [Bobby's Way]:
I'm flattered when people mention my name associated with other jobs. The fact that I have a clause in my contract that allows me to leave if I choose to brings a lot of speculation. But I've never mentioned that I have any desire to leave, and hopefully I will be here for next year and for years to come. I want to continue to build this franchise and this team the way our fans want it to be built and deserve it to be built in the future.
There, that settles it. All the doubters who don't believe now have Valentine coming out and saying it. Though the press in the States will continue to speculate on Valentine and a MLB job, and some out there will continue to believe whatever they say. Sad, isn't it?
Re: Could Valentine be M's Manager?
[ Author: Guest: puddin head | Posted: Nov 13, 2008 2:48 AM ]

Some may try to get Bobby to change his mind, but I agree, he is resolute to stay the course with Chiba Lotte as long as he feels appreciated there. Most people will stay at their jobs when they feel they get respect and appreciation. And, the NPB needs him. I hope he succeeds in getting the teams in Japan to deepen their farm systems. That could only bring good things to the growth of the game in Asia and internationally.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.