Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

CPBL Lacking Talent

Discussion in the Around Asia forum
CPBL Lacking Talent
There's not a lot of talent in the CPBL. Most of the good players from Taiwan are either in the United States or in Japan. What does it say about the talent level in the CPBL when a 39 year old like Darryl Brinkley is hitting .338 with four home runs? What does it say when a washed up Major Leaguer like John Frascatore can go to Taiwan and win the ERA title at 1.80?

However, Lin En-yu has got the talent. In his first season as a pitcher for the Makoto Cobras, he's displayed great control and he has a live fastball. I doubt he's going to stay in Taiwan. Other pitchers like Yang Chien-fu and Lin Ying-jeh have great numbers, but when it comes down to scouting reports they don't match up.
Comments
Re: CPBL Lacking Talent
[ Author: Guest: Andrew | Posted: Sep 12, 2005 10:39 AM ]

Yeah, it's true most of the talent is either in the United States or Japan. However, the fans come to watch good quality baseball provided by the CPBL. Most fans in Taiwan cheer on Wang Chien-ming, but it's like Double-A baseball - people watch the CPBL for the game itself. The most important thing is that the players play hard.
[ Author: Guest: dude | Posted: Sep 12, 2005 6:34 PM ]

I don't know. I watch Taiwan baseball because it's pretty cool. They're not that bad, really.
[ Author: Guest: Chien-san | Posted: Sep 13, 2005 12:33 PM ]

Most of the local players in the CPBL aren't even past 35. However, it's true that the foreigners are pretty old.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.