Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Rakuten Looking To Acquire Chin-Feng Chen From Dodgers

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Rakuten Looking To Acquire Chin-Feng Chen From Dodgers
According to Sankei Sports, Rakuten is interested in acquiring Chin-Feng Chen, who played with the Los Angeles Dodgers' AAA affiliate, the Las Vegas 51's. Chen played on the Taiwan National Team, batting in the number 4 spot during the 2003 Asia Olympic qualifying tournament held in Sapporo. During the game against Japan in that series, he had two hits off of Seibu's ace Daisuke Matsuzaka. According to the article, Chen's contract with the Dodgers expired at the end of October, so Rakuten is free to make offers. You can check out Chen's stats at the MLB level from Baseball-Reference, and you can see his career minor league stats from CBS SportsLine.

[Original article from Sankei Sports (in Japanese)]
Comments
Re: Rakuten Looking To Acquire Chin-Feng Chen From Dodgers
[ Author: Guest: thetaiwaneseterror | Posted: Nov 2, 2005 3:30 PM ]

If Chen goes to the NPB, I'm happy for him, as long as he doesn't continue to rot at AAA in the US.

Chen has always hit well against Asian pitchers. He's cranked homers againt Chan Ho Park in his prime; I believe he also hit a dinger off ace K. Uehara, too.

If he plays in the NPB, Chen could have a break out year comparable to what Korean slugger Lee S.Y. had this past year with Lotte.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Nov 3, 2005 4:30 AM ]

It will definetly be good for Chen to get a starting job, as he never has gotten the chance with the Dodgers.

Also, with the Eagles he could give them the power bat they desperately missed last year. I think Chen could very well end up hitting 30-35 HRs if he adapts, which I think he will have no problem doing. He's the big-name player the Eagles need, good job indeed if the Eagles are indeed going after him.
[ Author: Guest: bigdaub | Posted: Nov 23, 2005 8:03 AM ]

Looks like the Eagles weren't impressed with Chen's workout and it's unlikely that they'll pursue him.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.