Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Bucky Jacobsen

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Bucky Jacobsen
Former Mariners' phemon slugger Bucky Jacobsen has been publicly and privately stating his desire is to play in Japan. With his power and compact swing, he will do great! I am surprised no one has signed him yet. True, he was injured last year (knee), but showed he was 100% at an open workout at the Pirates' facility in Florida recently before a dozen major league teams.
Comments
Re: Bucky Jacobsen
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Dec 5, 2005 5:06 AM ]

Jacobsen would be an interesting signing, but his big question mark is, is he completely healthy? He tore up the lower levels in rehab this year, but struggled in AAA Tacoma going 9 for 66 (.136). He finished his year with a .250 average, 3 HRs, and 20 RBI.

Nevertheless, if he is healthy, he could be a great signing for Rakuten or Orix. Though I would only play him at first base/DH, and by no means would even consider Jacobsen in the outfield with his health. Though with the near recent signing of Jason Grabowski by Orix that pretty much rules them out.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Dec 7, 2005 12:28 PM ]

Bucky is so confident of his health he is willing to put it in writing by agreeing to waive the guaranty in his contract if he misses more than 30 days to injury relating to his prior condition. He is very strong with a compact swing.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Dec 8, 2005 4:02 PM ]

Bucky is a good guy and I hope that he can find success in Japan if he goes there. I saw him line a ball off the rightfield foul pole during a day game I went to two years ago, which shows that he has good opposite field power. The question is, can he hit all that breaking stuff he will see (though he will see more mistake pitches than he saw in MLB)?
[ Author: Guest: guest - buckyfan-san | Posted: Dec 9, 2005 2:29 AM ]

Could anyone please give links and/or cite the original sources for these news bits? I'd love to see the whole article.

Thanks!
[ Author: Guest: Aaron | Posted: Jan 5, 2006 10:39 AM ]

For the latest on what Bucky's up to, you can check out the Bucky Backers fan club website. We've been following Bucky since 1998 and can't wait to see where he ends up, though roadtrips to Japan would be tough to pull off!
[ Author: Sole_SL | Posted: Jan 9, 2006 6:59 PM | SL Fan ]

If he were to make his way to Japan what team would he be best suited for?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Jan 10, 2006 12:54 AM ]

Jacobsen would be better suited to a Pacific League team, where he could DH along with playing first base. Rakuten or Seibu would probably be the best option for Jacobsen.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.