Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Kiyo Shows Why He's a Fan Favorite

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Kiyo Shows Why He's a Fan Favorite
In this evening's (6/24) game between the Giants and BayStars at Tokyo Dome, the Giant's all-star first baseman showed what makes him one of the fans' favorite players in the game.

The scene: Bottom of the 4th inning, Giants down by 2 runs 3-1

The pitcher: Komiyama

The pitch: Down the middle

The hit: No doubt about it

...Now, let's go into the left field BayStars' cheering section.  One fan in a BayStars replica jersy with a glove is there, pretty high up in the left field stands.  As Kiyohara's home run ball aproaches, he stands, takes a step to his left, and makes a backhand grab.  It looks like he's about to throw the ball back, but the camera changes to show Kiyohara rounding second base.

Then what I thought I saw was confirmed.  Kiyohara interrupted his home run trot to pick up a baseball that was coming into the infield from left field.  The fan returned the ball, just as any good fan of the team it was hit against should (IMHO).

After Kiyohara crossed the plate, though, he didn't keep it as a sovoneer.  Kiyo took a couple of trotting steps toward the first base dugout, reared back, and threw the ball into the first base side stands.  If the fans in left don't want it, give it to the Giants fans on the right side.

Now, I am not a Kiyohara fan.  Fuinki ga chigao.  But he does come out and pull off a few plays that any baseball fan has got to admire.  And the realm that most of these lie in is "fan service."  In this instance, rather than feel down because the fan returned the ball, he turned that into a boost for the home crowd of Giants fans, and obviously enjoyed doing it.

Keep this up, Kiyo-chan, and I may just turn into one of your fans.

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.