Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Fighters Win Second Pennant in a Row

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Fighters Win Second Pennant in a Row
The Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters have defeated the Chiba Lotte Marines at Chiba Marine Stadium this evening (September 29, 2007), clinching first place in the Pacific League for the 2007 season. This is the Fighter's second championship in two year, their fourth in franchise history.
Comments
Re: Fighters Win Second Pennant in a Row
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Sep 29, 2007 10:49 PM | NIP Fan ]

Woohoo!

Though I was really hoping to see the clinching game tomorrow, I'm really happy about this (though I have no clue who this "Mike Sweeney" is in the JapanBall article).
[ Author: Guest: Chiba Bay Ray | Posted: Sep 30, 2007 4:39 PM ]

So since the Marines are in second, does that mean they have at least made the playoffs?
[ Author: Guest: JR | Posted: Oct 1, 2007 7:57 AM ]

- So since the Marines are in second, does that mean they have at least made the playoffs?

Yes, the top 3 teams make the playoff, with team 2 hosting team 3 in a best of 3 match-up, with the winner going on to face Nippon Ham in a 5-game series.
[ Author: Brimsek | Posted: Oct 2, 2007 12:14 AM | HNHF Fan ]

Go Fighters!
[ Author: Guest: Big BIll | Posted: Oct 8, 2007 5:37 AM ]

It's Brian Sweeney, and he's a starting pitcher. He pitched for the Mariners out of the bullpen and the for the Padres in their bullpen. When he wasn't offered a contract with the Padres (3.25 ERA) he was recruited by the Fighters to be a starter and decided to try it. He has been pretty good considering the Japanese strike zone and the shoulder problems he had in the beginning of the season.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Oct 8, 2007 11:34 AM | NIP Fan ]

Yes, I know that, and I would guess most of the regulars here do as well. I even saw Sweeney pitch back in the US several times before I saw him pitch with the Fighters here in Japan.

I was just pointing out that Japan Ball had made a big mistake in their article. Sorry if I didn't make the joke clear enough.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.