Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

2008 High School Draft

Discussion in the NPB News forum
2008 High School Draft
As reported elsewhere, the 2008 draft for high school players took place on October 3, 2007. Here is the table of draftees and their drafting teams:
Rnd     Giants                 Dragons              Tigers
1 IF Daisuke Fujimura P Kazuyuki Akasaka IF Takuya Takahama
2 --- --- ---
3 OF Daisuke Nakai P Ken Higuchi IF Issei Morita
4 P Yuki Takeshima P Daiki Kiyohara

Rnd BayStars Swallows Carp
1 P Kenjiro Tanaka P Yoshinori Satoh IF Tomohiro Abe
2 --- --- ---
3 P Atori Ohta P Hitoshi Yamamoto OF Yoshihiro Maru
4 P Shoma Satoh P Ken Nakamura
5 OF Takuya Sakamoto

Rnd Fighters Hawks Marines
1 OF Sho Nakata P Sho Iwasaki P Yuki Karakawa
2 --- --- ---
3 P Taiki Tsuda IF Akira Nakamura P Masatomo Uematsu
4 OF Seiichi Ohira IF Tsubasa Fujii P Kazunari Abe
5 P Suguru Matsuyama
6 P Akiyoshi Toyoshima
7 P Toshinori Asanuma

Rnd Lions Eagles Buffaloes
1 --- P Ryuhei Terada OF Masaya Niwa
2 --- --- ---
3 --- P Takashi Ishida C Hikaru Itoh
4 P Shota Takemaku P Yasunori Kukuchi P Masataka Yamazaki
5 IF Naomichi Umeda
6 C Shota Nakata
7 Of Shogo Saitoh
Seibu was excluded from the first three rounds due to a recruiting scandal that broke at the beginning of the 2007 season.

Deanna made a very interesting observation, nobody from the 2007 Koshien champions Saga Kita was drafted. While the mainstream press was focused on where the big names like Sho Tanaka, Yuki Karakawa, and Yoshinori Satoh were going, they seemed to have overlooked who wasn't drafted. As with the Hiyama intentional walk incident, Deanna has shown an uncanny ability to see what should be obvious but is overlooked.
Comments
Re: 2008 High School Draft
[ Author: Shinigami | Posted: Oct 4, 2007 10:26 AM | FSH Fan ]

Although it's been mentioned in the other thread, I guess I will bring it over here.

This draft system really needs some tweaking. Even though it's pretty fun when I play it on video games, this "picking a number out of hat" system used when multi teams want the same player is just ridiculous.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 4, 2007 11:30 AM | YBS Fan ]

Yes, the way the draft is carried out is a farce. The lottery drawing for players, like the gyaku shimei (where a player chooses his own team) were put into place to appease the Giants in an era when what was good for the Giants was good for NPB. That era has now passed, but it's hard for the owners to acknowledge that.

The Players Association has been trying for years to get draft reform. They even resorted to threatening litigation if the owners continued to ignore them. (This has been the traditional way the owners have handled issues they didn't want to discuss, ignore them until they went away. But the players have been more persistent in recent years.) Finally, a committee for draft reform as assembled and their conclusions were released a couple of days ago. That was the announcement that they will be returning to a single draft rather than dividing the high schoolers from college and amateur drafts. While moving to a full waiver system has been requested by many parties (including most of you), that part still hasn't been decided upon.

I have been hearing rumors that the Giants are starting to look at the bigger picture for NPB and are looking at ways to promote more cooperation between teams. This is very much out of character for Japan's Team, and I'll start believing these rumors when I see something like the waiver system for the draft actually come into play.

There is one other variable to the draft reform debate that the strictly waiver proponents should possibly consider. That is preventing prospects from going to North America. If Japanese teams are limited to offering 1-oku yen signing bonuses to draftees, could an MLB team offer more? Furthermore, if a player really wants to play for a specific team (like the Giants) but gets drafted by the Buffaloes, a high schooler has the option of going to the Industrial Leagues or college for a few years' further training, but that isn't very realistic for college students and/or Industrial League players getting up there in age. The gyaku-shimei system provided a way to make such players happy to enter indentured servitude. Eliminating that option may hurt more than just the popular teams.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 4, 2007 2:16 PM ]

What do you mean by "waiver system"?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 4, 2007 2:41 PM | YBS Fan ]

By "waiver system" I mean the same system as is used in many other drafts. That is, the last place team in the league that lost the Nippon Series has the first choice in the first round, going in reverse order as finished in the standings, alternating leagues, until the Japan Series champion. That order is then reverses going back through in the second round.

"Waiver (ウエーバー)" is the word used in the Japanese media. Is there a different word for it in English?

I was going to say that this is the system used in MLB, but the MLB has their own warped system whereby draft picks can be traded. As with the special rules imposed by NPB, the basic reason is so that influential teams who finish high can still get access to higher picks in the first rounds via a proxy.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Oct 4, 2007 3:30 PM | SFT Fan ]

- I was going to say that this is the system used in MLB, but the MLB has their own warped system whereby draft picks can be traded.

Currently, there is no such rule that MLB teams can trade draft picks. MLB has explored the possibility, but it isn't happening anytime soon if at all.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 4, 2007 3:40 PM | YBS Fan ]

- Currently, there is no such rule that MLB teams can trade draft picks.

That's odd. I guess I've been misinterpreting what is meant when I read articles stating that so-and-so was traded for x-million dollars and a first round draft pick. I admit that I don't follow MLB that closely, so I suppose that the meaning of that statement isn't necessarily what I thought.
[ Author: NipponHam11 | Posted: Oct 5, 2007 2:46 AM | SFT Fan ]

You may be mixing that up with the NFL, where draft picks are effective and often valuable bargaining chips, Westbay-san.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Oct 5, 2007 11:39 AM | NIP Fan ]

Errr, no, what they mean is in free agent signings, sometimes a team will get compensated with a draft pick. Signed, not traded. (This system is changing, too, though.)

They had what they called "A" rank players and "B" rank players, and if you sign an "A" player away from their team, then that team would get your first-round draft pick unless you were in the top 14 teams to pick, or something like that, and they'd also get a "compensation" pick in between the first two rounds. I think if you signed a "B" player away, then the other team would just get a compensation pick.

This is not exactly accurate, but it worked something like this in 2002 with the A's:

Their normal pick would have been 26th. But three of their top rank free agents were signed away from them, so they also got three first-round picks and three compensation picks.
  • They received the 16th pick from the Red Sox when they signed away Johnny Damon.
  • They received the 24th pick from the Yankees for signing away Jason Giambi.
  • They received the 30th pick from the Cardinals for signing away Jason Isringhausen.
Then they received the 35th, 37th, and 39th compensation picks as well, for these three signings.

Thus they had 7 first-round picks in 2002, and Michael Lewis ended up writing a book about them called Moneyball.
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Oct 4, 2007 11:39 AM | NIP Fan ]

Well, it's possible the Saga Kita guys just didn't enter the draft. I didn't really read up on it, but I'd seen profiles on Kubo and Soejima in the draft issue of Shube a few weeks ago, so I just assumed they were going up for it.

Another observation I just had is that Atori Ohta wasn't taken in the first round? Crazy - he seemed like one of the better talents in this year's high school draft as well. Congrats to the BayStars for getting him in the second (OK, third) round.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 4, 2007 4:23 PM ]

Just to clarify, MLB now goes in a strict reverse order of finish regardless of league. Up until 2 or so years ago, they used to alternate picks between NL and AL, but no more. The team with the worst winning percentage will pick first overall, and this continues throughout each round.

There are exceptions which include designating draft picks to compensate for lost free agents and awarding supplemental picks and such, but we're getting into the minutiae of the first-year draft.

I can't understand why in this day and age anyone would like Japan's outdated system. Wouldn't it be more fair if Hiroshima, Yakult, and Orix had first shots to draft Nakata, Satoh, Tanaka, etc.? I think that would be more fun than hoping and waiting on some players you think may develop down the road.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 4, 2007 4:32 PM ]

In my previous post I forgot to clarify that there is no trading of picks in MLB (unlike the other North American sports leagues), but that doesn't necessarily have to apply to Japan. Should they choose to reform their system, I can see a provision where a player who is set on playing for one team could be picked and traded to his intended destination. Compensation could range from picks, rostered players, money, or a combination of all.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 4, 2007 4:41 PM ]

Knowing what little I know about the above selections, it seems as if Westbay-san should be very happy. I suppose Yokohama had a great (if not the best) draft based on projections.

I was keeping a list of potential draftees, and only a handful were chosen. I don't know if some on my list didn't enter or weren't eligible. I'm just not that familiar with the rules surrounding this event.

I had three players from Saga Kita on the list (none selected), but Deanna spoke up and rightfully earned the keen eye prize!
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Oct 5, 2007 3:11 PM | NIP Fan ]

Well, while other people were spending their time arguing over whether the draft should exist, I went and translated more information about this year's draft class from Sponichi. There's still a few open spots where they had no hometown listed, but here you go:
Name                  Pos  School              B/T   DOB          Ht/Wt        Hometown
-------------------- --- ------------ --- ---------- ---------- --------

Giants
1 Daisuke Fujimura IF Kumamoto Kogyo L/R 07/25/1989 173/66 Kumamoto
3 Daisuke Nakai OF Uji Yamada R/R 11/27/1989 180/78 Mie
4 Yuuki Takeshima P Namegawa L/L 10/12/1989 182/76 Toyama

Dragons
1 Kazuyuki Akasaka P Urawa Gakuin R/R 09/04/1989 184/83 Kanagawa
3 Ken Higuchi P Onomichi R/R 12/02/1989 180/72 England

Tigers
1 Takuya Takahama IF Yokohama L/R 07/06/1989 183/77 Saga
3 Issei Morita IF Kanzei L/R 08/04/1989 185/88 Okayama
4 Daiki Kiyohara P Joso Gakuin R/R 06/11/1989 180/75 Ibaraki

BayStars
1 Kenjiro Tanaka P Tokoha Kikugawa L/L 09/18/1990 180/79 Aichi
3 Atori Ohta P Teikyo R/R 08/12/1989 186/91 Okinawa
4 Shoma Satoh P Bunsei Gendai L/L 08/18/1990 174/71 Tochigi
5 Takuya Sakamoto OF Kashiwa L/L 05/07/1989 178/80 Ibaraki

Swallows
1 Yoshinori Satoh P Sendai Ikuei L/R 12/05/1989 179/75 Sendai
3 Hitoshi Yamamoto P Sakata Minami R/R 07/10/1989 179/78 Osaka

Carp
1 Tomohiro Abe IF Fukuoka Kogyo L/R 06/24/1989 180/80 Fukuoka
3 Yoshihiro Maru OF Chiba Keizai L/R 04/11/1989 177/77 Chiba
4 Ken Nakamura P Kyoto Subaru L/L 09/27/1989 186/82 Kyoto

Fighters
1 Sho Nakata OF Osaka Toin R/R 04/22/1989 182/95 Hiroshima
3 Taiki Tsuda P Kurashiki R/R 06/16/1989 181/75 Wakayama
4 Seiichi Ohhira OF Hasami L/R 04/08/1989 183/91 Nagasaki
5 Suguru Matsuyama P Yokohama Shodai R/R 09/08/1989 179/73 Kanagawa
6 Akiyoshi Toyoshima P Hokuriku Otani L/L 01/16/1990 169/69 Ishikawa
7 Toshinori Asanuma P Asahikawa Minami L/L 07/21/1989 181/72 Asahikawa

Hawks
1 Sho Iwasaki P Funabashi Shiritsu R/R 10/21/1989 186/76 Chiba
3 Akira Nakamura IF Teikyo L/L 11/05/1989 176/82 Saitama
4 Tsubasa Fujii IF Sakurai L/R 02/23/1990 189/83 Toyama

Marines
1 Yuki Karakawa P Narita R/R 07/05/1989 180/78 Chiba
3 Masatomo Uematsu P Konko Osaka L/L 11/27/1989 183/80 Osaka
4 Kazunari Abe P Omuta R/R 05/19/1989 182/72 Fukuoka

Lions
4 Shota Takekuma P Asahikawa Kogyo L/L 11/24/1989 178/75 Kita Hokkaido
5 Naomichi Umeda IF Sabae L/R 06/28/1989 185/80 Fukui
6 Shota Nakata C Naruto Kogyo R/R 02/22/1990 182/76 Hyogo
7 Shogo Saitoh OF Kasuga Kyuei L/L 05/14/1989 180/87 Saitama

Rakuten
1 Ryuhei Terada P Sapporo Minami S/R 06/20/1989 185/76 Hokkaido
3 Takashi Ishida IF Tokai Gyosei L/R 06/13/1989 180/80 Fukuoka
4 Yasunori Kikuchi P Tokiwadai L/R 09/18/1989 180/80 Ibaraki

Buffaloes
1 Masaya Niwa OF Gifu Johoku R/R 04/18/1989 178/84 Aichi
3 Hikaru Itoh C Meitoku Gijiku R/R 04/23/1989 180/73 Aichi
4 Masataka Yamazaki P Funabashi Shiritsu R/R 05/09/1989 183/75 Fukuoka

[Admin added missing birth places on Oct. 5, 2007 4:08 PM JST from Nikkan Sports (paper edition)]
[ Author: Guest: KaminaAyato | Posted: Jan 18, 2008 7:51 AM ]

Sorry for being late to the party (I've been away from HS Baseball dealing with other things at home).

I think perhaps the reason why the Saga Kita kids weren't aggressively drafted is because (1) they shared time with each other, possibly losing status as a long starter, (2) while they did win the Koshien tournament, only 2 games really stood out (Teikyou and the championship vs. Kouryou), and were for all intents and purposes dead versus Kouryou if not for the late inning grand slam.

With regards to Teikyou's Oota, I personally thought that his prior Koshien appearances diminished his value rather than helped it. I think it was the 2006 summer Koshien where I first saw him, and in his first game he was dominant. However, in the subsequent game, he was shaky, lost control and was pulled. Since then, he has proven inconsistent and was even relegated to a reliever's role where he struggled there as well. It's quite possible that he has mental block issues that could prevent him from being a top of the line starter.

Personally, my surprise is Honda-kun from Kyoto Gaidai Nishi. At least to me, he became well known as a late inning reliever/closer for KGN and I thought would be a great pickup for a team in a closer role - especially since the Marines and the Golden Eagles lost their closers.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 17, 2008 11:21 PM ]

Has there been any progress in reforming the amateur draft? I think I heard that a straight waiver system had been proposed, but there was some resistance.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 17, 2008 11:27 PM | YBS Fan ]

Good question. It's been quite a while since I've read anything about it. I think it's being considered along with the free agency reform, of which no resolution has been completed. But I may have missed something.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Allen | Posted: Apr 22, 2008 12:00 AM ]

Just for everyone's records, Yuki Takeshima of the Giants went to Namerikawa High School. Sorry just had to add that as my wife's nephew went there, too.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.