Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Sheets Not to be Re-Signed

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Sheets Not to be Re-Signed
According to Nikkan Sports (paper version), Andy Sheets' contract will not be renewed by the Tigers. In his five years in Japan (2 with Hiroshima, 3 with Hanshin), .243 with 9 home runs and 54 RBIs over 132 games has been by far his worst season yet. The Tigers feel that his best years are now behind him.

Sheets' 2.8-oku yen salary will go toward pursuing free agents Fukudome (Chunichi) and/or Arai (Hiroshima).
Comments
Re: Sheets Not to be Re-Signed
[ Author: rolen_it_up | Posted: Oct 15, 2007 3:49 PM ]

What are the chances he lands with some other NPB team?

I really hope he does. He could rebound in '08.
[ Author: Yakulto | Posted: Oct 15, 2007 3:55 PM | TYS Fan ]

I'm sure this comes as a surprise to no-one, he has been pretty poor this year. But he's had a good run over here.

I wonder if any other teams in Japan will come in for him?
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Oct 15, 2007 5:34 PM | HT Fan ]

I had my suspicions.

Well, that's an end of an era. Apart from a frustrating 2007 season, Sheets has done well for Hanshin.
[ Author: Guest: BONEAUX | Posted: Oct 16, 2007 2:14 AM ]

FYI: Andy was offered a 2 year deal after the 2006 season. He decided to only sign for 1 year. He planned to retire.

I know this because I am his dad.

[Misspelling committed and fixed by Admin on Oct 16, 2007 10:55 AM JST]
[ Author: Guest: JR | Posted: Oct 16, 2007 8:29 PM ]

Well, despite his off-year, I will miss having Andy in the 3-hole next year. He was a good model for foreigners playing in Japan. He played with a lot of heart, but was still polite and fit in well here. The Japanese press recognized this as well, as I remember when he shouted at an umpire last year the announcers made a remark about how such behavior was rare for "Gentleman Sheets." All the best to him.
[ Author: Guest: zman | Posted: Oct 17, 2007 8:17 PM ]

Andy had a good run here in Japan and can hold his head high as he returns to the US.

The Tigers need a producer in the three hole, someone to give them some offensive punch as they sorely lacked that this year. In my view half the line up needs to be replaced.

Mijow, if you are reading this, you lost our bet.
[ Author: Guest: JR | Posted: Oct 17, 2007 10:03 PM ]

As for a producer in the 3-hole, let's hope Okada sticks with Lin this time, provided he is healthy.

With Andy gone, any word on whether the Tigers will bring in a new foreign bat? This leaves them without a foreign hitter. (I won't count Lin here because everyone knows Taiwanese aren't foreigners, wink wink.)
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Oct 18, 2007 6:58 AM | SFT Fan ]

- With Andy gone, any word on whether the Tigers will bring in a new foreign bat?

They could look at Alex Ramirez, who might price himself out of Yakult's budget. But I doubt that Hanshin will look outside of Japan for a big bat this time.

Also, I've heard that Takahiro Arai could be a possibility to replace Sheets. Though that clearly would be a big difference with the glove between the two.

I think Hanshin would be wise to find a good starter such as Seth Greisinger or Ryan Glynn for example.
[ Author: Guest: Nagoya Gaijin | Posted: Oct 20, 2007 9:45 AM ]

I'm a little sad to see Andy go, too. He's been a good guy, and my son loves him. Maybe he will sign for less money and be a bench player?

Hanshin needs starting pitching more than anything. I can't remember the last time a Hanshin starter threw anything close to a complete game. The Dragons exploited that weakness well.

Now that (hopefully) Imaoka is healthy again, third base is covered. As long as his bat can recover, too.

IMHO, they may want to look into a new outfielder, too. I'm not sure how long Kanemoto can last, he's pushing 40.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Oct 23, 2007 1:28 PM | HT Fan ]

- Mijow, if you are reading this, you lost our bet.

Ah, not really. Remember the caveat I added? Sheets just faded towards the end there. My whole point at the time was that he seemed to be coming out of his slump (along with the rest of the team), and if that had continued, then he would have been back.
[ Author: Guest: zman | Posted: Oct 24, 2007 12:08 AM ]

Mijow, is that Japanese for weasel?

Sheets is gone and you lost. End of story.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.