Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Talks With Kroon Snag

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Talks With Kroon Snag
Negotiation talks with Yohokama BayStars closer Marc Kroon have hit a snag over the length of a new contract.

Kroon is seeking a 2 year deal, while the BayStars are offering Kroon a 1 year deal, 300 million yen contract or a 2 year contract worth 500 million yen with the club option to cancel it in case of injury.

He mentioned that it's possible that he could return to the United States, but mentioned on his website that he'd prefer to remain in Japan.

Kroon went 3-1 with 31 SV's and a 2.76 ERA in 43 games.

Source: Japan Ball
Comments
Re: Talks With Kroon Snag
[ Author: Dan Miceli | Posted: Nov 10, 2007 5:40 PM ]

I think Kroon would be extremely foolish to turn down the BayStars' offer. The guy is going to be 35 at the beginning of next season, and isn't going to get a $3 million offer from an MLB team for 2008.

Anyway, the BayStars need to get more serious about the foreign players they employ, and I don't think retaining the services of Matt White for next season is much of a start.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Nov 11, 2007 8:35 AM | HAN Fan ]

I would suspect Kroon wants to know what Yomiuri will do. There has been talk of interest in him.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Nov 11, 2007 10:37 AM | CLM Fan ]

What is it with the BayStars and their expensive closers? Remember when Kazuhiro Sasaki was the highest paid player in NPB and barely even got any save opportunities? Granted, Kroon is a whole lot better than Sasaki was after coming home from MLB, but he's still one of the most expensive guys on the team.

If Yokohama used that wasted Daimajin money on retaining Tyrone Woods, they probably wouldn't suck so much right now. All they'd have to do is fill a couple holes in their pitching and they'd probably be contenders.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.