Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Rhodes, LaRocca, Davey To Return

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Rhodes, LaRocca, Davey To Return
The Orix Buffaloes have announced that outfielder Tuffy Rhodes, infielder Greg LaRocca, and pitcher Tom Davey will all return in 2008. Orix announced that all three will receive one year deals, no salary details were released.

Davey went 8-11 with a 3.21 ERA in 26 games. Rhodes batted .291/.403/.603 with 42 HRs and 96 RBI in 132 games and 464 ABs. LaRocca batted .286/.366/.505 with 27 HRs and 79 RBIs in 136 games and 503 ABs.

Source: Daily Yomiuri
Comments
Re: Rhodes, LaRocca, Davey To Return
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 14, 2007 9:45 AM | YBS Fan ]

Thanks, Brooks-san, for keeping up with the latest signings. It's very helpful while I'm busy with other things.

I'd like to add that Nikkan Sports (paper version) did have more contract details.

Rhodes got a huge pay increase, from 7,800-man to 2.35-oku yen, approximately 3 times his 2007 salary. He also gets an additional 1-oku yen in incentives, Rhodes having reached and surpassed his 2007 goals for an extra 1-oku yen this past season as well.

LaRocca goes from 7,200-man to 1.4-oku yen, nearly doubling his 2007 salary. While the Dead Ball King does not have incentives for being hit by pitches, he will get additional bonuses based on his performance in 2008.

Davey will be getting 1-oku yen for 2008.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Nov 14, 2007 12:29 PM | CLM Fan ]

Tom Davey probably deserves more for how consistent he's been through the years. He could realistically be Orix's ace next year.
[ Author: Guest: kansai fan | Posted: Nov 18, 2007 10:24 AM ]

While these salaries are always up for debate, it looks as if Orix has a strong nucleus of American guys here, and remember Rhodes counts as a Japanese player. If only they could acquire better Japanese talent.

As for Davey, he's been the ace over his 2 seasons with Orix. He has had the best stats of any starting pitcher over his 2 seasons with the Buffaloes. Hirano has been the next best guy. I look for him to be the ace this season, too.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Nov 19, 2007 11:48 AM | CLM Fan ]

You're right, but Kawagoe has always been considered the ace by NPB fans since the BlueWave and Buffaloes merged. Gaikokujin are rarely considered aces unless they put up years like Greisinger just had.
[ Author: Guest: kansai fan | Posted: Nov 20, 2007 11:31 PM ]

Why would anybody consider Kawagoe the ace? He hasn't put numbers up.

Anyway, before Davey, JP was the ace. I thought the best pitcher was the ace, not just someone they give the title to.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.