Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Arai Joins Tigers

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Arai Joins Tigers
Third baseman Takahiro Arai has agreed to join the Hanshin Tigers. Hanshin will announce the deal after Arai returns from the Olympic qualifying tournament next month. The deal is expected to be a 1 billion yen deal over 4 years.

Arai batted .290/.351/.480 with 28 HRs and 102 RBI in 144 games and 556 ABs with the Hiroshima Carp in 2007.

Source: Japan Ball
Comments
Re: Arai Joins Tigers
[ Author: Guest: Gern | Posted: Nov 22, 2007 12:15 PM ]

How will this affect other players? If Arai plays third base, what will happen to Imaoka and Sekimoto? Is it possible Arai will play first? Will that affect Lin? Lin needs to be in the starting line-up. I'd also like to see Sekimoto play. And Fujimoto as well. And Imaoka.
[ Author: Guest: Fishiguchi | Posted: Nov 22, 2007 7:11 PM ]

I think Arai must be in the starting lineup at third base. He's pretty good at defense, has a good arm, and he's the slugger the Tigers need because of Hamanaka's slump.

Sekimoto could play second base as well, and Lin at 1B. But I think Fujimoto and Imaoka will be deluxe pinch-hitters next year.

Even if I'm a fan of Imaoka, his 2007 level was poor! I hope he'll come back next year.
[ Author: Guest: zman | Posted: Nov 22, 2007 10:22 PM ]

Fishi,

Imaoka has been off since the 2005 season. 2006 in particular was terrible, 2007 showed some improvement but not back to his 2005 level. Why can't the guy hit home runs anymore? He hit 29 in '05 and 4 this year. Also his average in the last two years with RISP is awful. So I don't know if pitch hitting is such a good idea.
[ Author: Guest: Fishiguchi | Posted: Nov 24, 2007 1:42 AM ]

Well, I heard that Imaoka had a surgery operation during the off-season of 2006/2007, and since then he just can't bat normally. Incredible.

I really like this guy. I hope one day this long long slump will finish.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Nov 27, 2007 1:54 PM ]

Imaoka will probably be given the initial shot at third, but if he falters, Sekimoto could move there and Atsushi Fujimoto or Keiichi Hirano becomes your full time second baseman. That would relegate Imaoka to a pinch hit bat off the bench and some fill in at second and third.

Arai should be at first.

Lin is going to have major shoulder surgery and will be out the first half of 2008.

Unless they plan to give him more playing time, they need to look into perhaps working Keisuke Kano out at first because of his promising bat and the fact that Hashimoto will need a lineup spot in the next two years and Yano is still going to be around. There is also no assurance that Lin will recover his bat speed once his shoulder heals. If Kano develops at first, they just spin Arai back to third.

Assuming Sakurai isn't a fluke, they really need a left handed power bat somewhere to help Kanemoto out, preferably somebody who can play first base. No production at the corners killed them last season, in addition to the starting pitching that couldn't eat enough innings.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Nov 27, 2007 3:55 PM | CLM Fan ]

Just read an article that said the Tigers may try to go after Lew Ford, formerly of the Twins. I think they're just looking for a competent outfielder who is good enough with the bat to get on base regularly.
[ Author: Guest: Fishiguchi | Posted: Nov 27, 2007 5:25 PM ]

Are you sure Arai will play first base?

I think that if Okada-kantoku has to choose between Imaoka/Arai for 3B/1B, he will take Arai in 3rd and Imaoka in 1st.

Arai is great at defense! Don't forget he was in the Japanese line-up for the WBC!
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Nov 27, 2007 5:34 PM | SFT Fan ]

Yeah, that seems to be the plan if they're going after a name like Lew Ford. Like I mentioned over on this topic, Cody Ross and Josh Phelps make way more sense than Ford. Ford has had very disappointing OBP's since 2005 (.338, .287, .315).

Also as I mentioned over in the other topic, Phelps is most likely out of the equation (since he only plays first base and some catcher). Arai figures to get the job at first base and Imaoka will figure to probably get the first chance at third. Also, there's no way they will put him behind the plate, with the language barrier.

Ross [Baseball Reference], is a very intriguing option, he has always had very good power. I would be interested to see how he does in NPB. He's an outfielder, and could come for a lot cheaper than Fukudome. If Hanshin is indeed looking at Greisinger, that would help them save money to go after Greisinger with.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Nov 28, 2007 2:42 AM | SFT Fan ]

It looks like Hanshin has left the Fukudome sweepstakes [Japan Ball] and will now focus their efforts on Lew Ford. Overall, I must say I'm in shock, not so much because they dropped out of the Fukudome sweepstakes, but because there willing to sign Ford.

Maybe he will be okay and all, but based on the numbers the last few seasons as I mentioned here and on the Thames thread, Cody Ross makes way more sense at outfield.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Nov 28, 2007 9:22 AM | HAN Fan ]

This is not surprising as Fukudome did not show much enthusiasm about playing for the Tigers. I am not sure though if they need another outfielder but more starting pitching.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.