Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Hanshin Goes After Greisinger

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Hanshin Goes After Greisinger
After the huge trades to get Kanemura from the Fighters and Kawagoe of the Buffaloes, Hanshin isn't content with their starting rotation for next season. Nikkan Sports reports that the Tigers are willing to pay Seth Greisinger 5,000-man more than Yakult is offering the starter. Yakult offered Greisinger 5-oku over two years, while Hanshin went up to 5.5-oku for two years.

A starting rotation of Fukuhara, Andoh, Shimoyanagi, Kanemura, Kawagoe, and Greisinger would seem like one of the better rotations in Japan, assuming they all pitch to their full potential with no injuries.
Comments
Re: Hanshin Goes After Greisinger
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Nov 24, 2007 2:51 PM | HAN Fan ]

Shimoyanagi is unlikely to be back. He is currently exploring free agency in the MLB. Okada has signaled he doesn't want him back either.

Greisinger is likely to stay at Yakult though. IIRC he had already re-signed.

Fukuhara is the dark horse of your line-up. No one can predict how he will perform. Look for more from Uezono, Sugiyama, and perhaps Kojima as well.
[ Author: Guest: Tony | Posted: Nov 24, 2007 8:08 PM ]

Would Orix be interested in Shimoyanagi? Has the Kawagoe for Hamanaka trade been made official?
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Nov 25, 2007 3:33 AM | CLM Fan ]

Shimoyanagi could possibly go to the Carp as an unprotected consolation for the Arai signing. That's how Kudoh went to the BayStars when Kadokura was signed as a free agent. This hasn't been reported in any news article I've read so far, so it's just speculation on my part.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Nov 26, 2007 5:43 AM | HT Fan ]

Can they send Shimoyanagi to the Carp despite not having him under contract? There still is a possibility he could sign with another team.

If I were the Carp I'd probably prefer to take the cash compensation (1.3x his previous year's salary, if that rule is still in place).

Also, does someone have a source on the Hamanaka/Kawagoe trade? I haven't seen it in the Japanese press at all.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Nov 26, 2007 9:20 AM | HAN Fan ]

It was the headline in the Daily Sports newspaper on November 22nd.
[ Author: Guest: Tony | Posted: Nov 26, 2007 8:36 PM ]

Kawagoe was not traded to Hanshin. The trade ended up Hamanaka and Yoshino (pitcher) for Hirano (infielder/outfielder) and Abe (pitcher).
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Nov 27, 2007 2:15 PM ]

I also understand that Shimoyanagi is history.

It looks to me that the rotation will probably be:
    Ryan Vogelsong
    Keiji Uezono
    Yuya Ando (shoulder issues)
    Satoru Kanemura (Just 88 wins in 13 seasons)
    Yasuhiro Nakamura (great minor league numbers, hasn't been able to stick in the big time yet)
    Naohisa Sugiyama/Atsushi Nomi/Hirotaka Egusa
Boy, that is a whole lot of uncertainty there. They really need either Egusa or Nomi plus Nakamura to balance out the right handers. If they can't do it, that is an all right handed rotation and that queers their chances against Yomiuri.

At least the bullpen (Watanabe, Cubillan, Williams, Fujikawa) will be absolutely terrific.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Nov 27, 2007 2:40 PM | HAN Fan ]

I seem to recall that Cubillan has also gone. Do you mean Kubota?
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Nov 27, 2007 3:50 PM | CLM Fan ]

Yeah, looks like the Kawagoe deal never went down. There's still news that Hanshin is pursuing Greisinger, so that still isn't out of the question. They have some nice young pitchers who could step up at any time, too.
[ Author: Guest: Tony | Posted: Nov 27, 2007 8:44 PM ]

I heard Hanshin released Vogelsong and Cubillan.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Nov 28, 2007 2:52 AM ]

Vogelsong didn't get released but Cubillian did!
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: Nov 28, 2007 3:43 PM | HT Fan ]

That is correct. Found this article in Sponichi that has the details (in Japanese).
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Nov 30, 2007 7:37 AM | HAN Fan ]

It seems like Hanshin's chances have suddenly increased. Are the Swallows competing with Hiroshima to see who can pay the least?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.