Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Hiroshima Takes Akamatsu for Arai

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Hiroshima Takes Akamatsu for Arai
Just as Yokohama surprised everyone taking veteran Kimiyasu Kudoh from the Giants for the free agent loss of Ken Kadokura in 2007 (the BayStars getting the better of that deal), the Hiroshima Toyo Carp have taken fourth year prospect Masato Akamatsu from Hanshin to replace free agent Takahiro Arai. [Source: Sponichi - in Japanese]

Akamatsu was mostly a base running second stringer for the Tigers last year. While his .154 batting average in 28 games last season doesn't look that good, he did have 8 stolen bases over that time. With just 6 hits (one being a double), that surpasses the number of total bases for the year. If he can learn to get on base, he's going to be trouble to the opposition, just as that little gokiburi Akahoshi has been.

When you consider that Arai has been on the decline since 2005, and that Koshien is much larger than Hiroshima Shimin Kyujyo, I think that this may turn out to be a good move for the Carp.

(And I like players who show their stockings.)
Comments
Re: Hiroshima Takes Akamatsu for Arai
[ Author: Deanna | Posted: Jan 8, 2008 12:24 AM | NIP Fan ]

Wow. That is a pretty clever move, although Arai is still a pretty valuable player.

And actually, Akamatsu stole 26 bases on the farm team this year... in 58 games. (Taken from farm stats here.) That's pretty insane.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Jan 8, 2008 7:40 AM | HAN Fan ]

Like Kida. Akamatsu has never been one of Okada's favored players. He has never really been given the chance to play and prove himself, even though he is actually faster than Akahoshi.
[ Author: Guest: Dylan | Posted: Jan 8, 2008 9:17 AM ]

I think the Carp were clever in getting Go Kida and now Masato Akamatsu. Both of those players were never given a fair chance to succeed with Hanshin. The Carp have aging outfielders. Young outfielders like Kida and Akamatsu are welcome additions.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jan 8, 2008 10:52 AM | CLM Fan ]

Hiroshima totally robbed Hanshin and Akamatsu is a star in the making. I said it in the other thread, but Hanshin has so many failed pitching prospects they could've left off the protected roster. Akamatsu has shown a solid bat down on the farm for a couple years now. If I were them, I'd rather give up Fujimoto than Akamatsu.

I think Hiroshima can have Akamatsu lead off now and let Soyogi continue his power hitting in the middle of the order. Shima's days as a regular outfielder are probably over.
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Jan 8, 2008 10:28 PM ]

I have to concur with the sentiments of the earlier posts. I cannot believe that the fish were able to get Akamatsu. With one of Hiroshima's chief problems being too much age among the fly chasers (Ogata and Maeda, to name two), now they are suddenly getting young and promising in Kida and Akamatsu, and the latter gives them some pitcher intimidating speed (provided he can get on base regularly).

Nice add Marty!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.