Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Orix and Cabrera Come to Terms

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Orix and Cabrera Come to Terms
According to this Sponichi article (in Japanese), the Orix Buffaloes have come to terms with former Seibu slugger Alex Cabrera for 2008. Alex will earn 2.5-oku (250 million) yen plus incentives for one year and wear number 42.

However, with his name having been in the Mitchell Report, Orix may give Cabrera his unconditional release should he ever come up positive for doping. And Japan's testing is in line with Olympic standards, which are much more stringent than what the MLB has in place. Several players (Matsuzaka included) had to either change medication or give up chemical remedies all together for spring allergies during Olympic years in the past.

Orix has said that they're satisfied with Cabrera's statements regarding the Mitchell Report. But it looks like they're taking the "Trust and Verify" course very seriously to avoid any potential reputational damage.

[Corrected Cabrera's name on Jan 10, 2008 11:33 AM, JST]
Comments
Re: Orix and Cabrera Come to Terms
[ Author: 2DBB08 | Posted: Jan 10, 2008 4:21 AM ]

Although disappointed to see Cabrera's name in the Mitchell Report, I hope he is clean. I'm happy he's having a good career in Japan. I was at the game in Phoenix when he hit a home run in his first Major League at-bat. He had a pretty decent rookie year and it was a bit puzzling when he was then going to Japan. With the publication of the Mitchell Report, I can now understand why the Diamondbacks were likely able to let him go to Japan.
[ Author: Dan Miceli | Posted: Jan 10, 2008 11:15 AM ]

Michael,

I enjoy this site and it's a great place for Japanese baseball fans to exchange news and views.

However, I have one complaint. Instead of just making changes and corrections to others' posts as you see fit, you either need to pay more attention to your own posts, or get a proofreader. If you spell Alex Cabrera's name twice as "Cabrara," well, then you have a small problem.

By the way, looking just above this box, you "cite" not "site," as in the "siting stats" above. There are other misspellings on this site. Let's try to show some consistency, Michael. Thanks
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 10, 2008 11:48 AM | YBS Fan ]

Thank you. It's hardest to proofread one's own work. So I rely on others to keep me straight.

Please don't hesitate to point out mistakes (spelling and factual). I know very well that I'm not perfect.
OT: Corrections
[ Author: Guest: jim | Posted: Jan 10, 2008 4:41 PM ]

Don't put this stuff on here. Nobody wants to read that stupid stuff. Stick to baseball info. Not writing tests!

[by Editor: You're right. Corrections and complaints should go to the Administrative Forum.]
[ Author: Guest: Dylan | Posted: Jan 10, 2008 7:19 PM ]

I think Cabrera is a great sign, as long as he doesn't fail a drug test. Cabrera, Powell, Hamanaka, Furuki, and Yoshino should really help Orix this year. They can still sign one more suketto. A closer or outfielder would help. With these signings/trades Orix just might get out of last place.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jan 18, 2008 2:36 PM ]

I wish Cabrera well with his new team and move, but from first hand knowledge I am fairly convinced that the guy has done performance enhancing drugs in the past. I doubt he is still doing them now, but I am pretty sure he was using them as late as the 2005 season.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.