Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Two New Rules In NPB

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Two New Rules In NPB
Looks like the baseball commission in Japan just made two new regulations. The first is that stolen bases won't be statistically recognized during a blow out. This is something that MLB has had for a while. The second is that a safety bunt that turns into a sacrifice bunt won't be recognized as a sacrifice bunt.
Comments
Re: Two New Rules In NPB
[ Author: 2DBB08 | Posted: Jan 12, 2008 8:43 AM ]

- Looks like the baseball commission in Japan just made two new regulations. The first is that stolen bases won't be statistically recognized during a blow out. This is something that MLB has had for a while.

Actually, the MLB doesn't have this rule. The MLB rule for whether or not to credit a stolen base has absolutely nothing to do with the game being a blowout or not. The MLB rule is that it isn't a stolen base but "catcher's indiffrence" if the team on the field makes no effort to prevent a stolen base.

In fact, catcher's indifference is often called in MLB during non-blowout games, such as with a runner on 1st with 2 outs in the 9th inning of a 2-run or 3-run game. The runner on base is meaningless so the team on the field decides to let the runner take a base rather than devote some of the pitcher's attention away from the batter.

As for stolen bases in blowout games, those can certainly be scored as stolen bases in MLB, but notwithstanding they can cause terse words being spoken and a lot of tension.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jan 12, 2008 10:32 AM | CLM Fan ]

Ah, I got confused for a second. Thanks for clearing that up.

Yeah, the Japanese articles clearly state that they'll be judging stolen bases by the point spread.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jan 13, 2008 9:14 AM | CLM Fan ]

I'd like to follow up on this piece of news. It seems like a seven run lead is where the stolen base rule will be enforced.

It's interesting to see the cultural difference in this new rule. I'm looking at a thread right now where the majority of comments are baffled by the rule and saying things like, "Baseball is becoming similar to pro wrestling with rules like this."

The majority of comments are against the rule, perhaps from people with little experience with the game of baseball. I think most baseball people would tell you that there will never be a call for a stolen base in a blow out, just because it's an unwritten rule. You don't show up the other team. If an individual player makes that choice on his own, he'll either get an earful from his manager or suffer retaliation from the opposing pitcher.

The Japanese mentality of not taking it easy on one's opponent seems to shine through on the Japanese boards. In Japan, taking it easy on your opponent is showing them up. It shows very little respect for your opposition, so this new rule definitely splits the casual baseball fan and the hardcore fans who don't think much of it.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jan 13, 2008 11:14 AM ]

This is an interesting topic, and one that I always found strange. I've discussed this topic with both Japanese and Americans involved in sports, and the Americans find it funny how a society that's so strict and orderly like Japan's doesn't think twice about not easing up on deflated opponents in sports.

The "unwritten" rules in U.S. sports seem to not apply in Japan. I always found it comical how NPB teams would keep stealing bases even with a large cushion.

Some of you might remember a controversy that developed when Tsuyoshi Shinjo was playing for the Mets and with the Mets were leading by more than 5 runs. He swung at a 3-0 pitch. There was no malice on Shinjo's part, since he wasn't aware of the unwritten rule. But the opposing team wasn't too happy about it and let their displeasure be known to him.

I know from watching basketball games in Japan that teams with a large lead continue to shoot the ball with time running out in the game instead of just dribbling the clock out like you see at all levels in the U.S. Even if an opponent shoots and sinks a 3-pointer with time running out and a big lead, the Japanese players and coaches won't say or do anything about it.

I like the new NPB rules. There's no sense in rubbing it in an opponent's face by stealing bases with a large lead.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Jan 13, 2008 11:27 AM | HT Fan ]

Of course the rule won't actually ban stolen bases - they just won't count towards the stats, so most of the criticism on those threads is probably missing the point. It's not as if they're introducing the mercy rule. It's not going to make a whole lot of difference IMO.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jan 14, 2008 3:51 AM ]

Both rules seem reasonable and make sense, although it is a little bit unconventional. I certainly understand the thought process, though, and have no opposing feelings.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.