Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Strike! September 11-12

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Strike! September 11-12
With the beginning of September being marked with meetings of both the owners and players (but not with each other!), we have a possible date for the players' first large scale protest to the merger of Orix and Kintetsu: September 11 (Saturday) and 12 (Sunday).

In front of the Foreign Correspondents Club of Japan on Thursday (September 2), Furuta-head chairman of the Players' Association reiterated that a strike was the last resort that the players want to do, and it all depends on the owners' meetings on the 6th and 8th of next week. All indications, though, show that the owners will not back down and will approve the merger on September 8 during the owners' meeting. The owners' representatives meet on Monday (September 6) to pretty much finalize everything so that the owners can stamp their approval on Wednesday.

With only three games on Thursday and two on Friday (September 9 and 10 respectively), the players don't think that a strike on those two days will have much of an effect, so Saturday and Sunday (September 11-12) will be the strike date should the owners approve the merger.

The players will meet one more time before the proposed strike on Monday when they would like to deliver 1,000,000 messages from fans to the owners to point out who the ball clubs play for, and who their ignoring is going to harm. If the strike goes through, the players (their representatives) will meet again on Monday, September 13 to discuss further action, with the only game scheduled (Daiei vs. Orix) being played.

The contract that was signed between Orix and Kintetsu last week has not been made public, but word is that there is a clause that states the the contract is pending approval from the other owners. But the other owners steadfastly refuse to talk about that merger and continue to jabber on about a second merger and single league scenarios.
Comments
Re: Strike! September 11-12
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 3, 2004 12:23 PM ]

So, the question is, do the players plan to strike only on the 11th and 12th, or is that the deadline date for when the strike begins.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 3, 2004 12:48 PM | YBS Fan ]

It will be a two day strike, then they'll decide if more striking is necessary.

The owners have also been talking about a lock-out, but I don't understand what for. Retaliation? So far as I can tell, the only complaint they have against the players is that they don't want the players to participate in their shuffling of NPB's future.

Also, a slight correction: Re-reading the article in Nikkan Sports, it appears that Furuta wishes to deliver the 1,000,000 signatures/messages from fans to the owners' meeting on the 8th, not the representatives' meeting on the 6th.
[ Author: Guest: Guest | Posted: Sep 6, 2004 9:53 PM ]

So are they only going to strike on the weekends?
[ Author: Guest: Guest | Posted: Sep 6, 2004 9:58 PM ]

Sounds pretty lame to me.
Weeking Striking?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 6, 2004 11:14 PM | YBS Fan ]

That's still not decided. The players will decide their next move next Monday. I still haven't heard anything on the meeting(s) today, so let's take it one meeting at a time.

On what can be viewed as a positive note, the threat of a strike appears to have struck a cord with the Dragons. They're going for their first championship in six years and are starting to be concerned that the players may strike through post-season as the MLB players have done. Of course, it will also effect the new Pacific League playoffs if a strike is prolonged.

The likelyhood of a prolonged strike, though, isn't very high at this point. Furuta has expressed concern about not only the ni-gun players making league minimum, but also the support people in the dugout, at the ball parks, in the concessions, etc. How many of those people are just getting by and cannot afford the loss of even a hand full games? Unlike the owners, Furuta is concerned about all the people that the loss of games (be it a team lost or a weekend series) will effect.

Anyway, hopefully there will be more information tomorrow (Tuesday).
Re: September 11
[ Author: bouton-kun | Posted: Sep 6, 2004 3:29 AM ]

Why did Furuta reiterate all this in front of the Foreign Correspondents Club of Japan? Did he choose this location on purpose? I can see why he wants to deliver a million messages. To mobilize domestic public opinion. But why does he go to the foreign press club? To mobilize the foreign press corps? Pro Yakyu is not exactly big news outside Japan. Does he want to put pressure on the owners by means of the foreign press because he feels the Japanese press will side with the owners if push comes to shove?

The foreign press inside Japan isn't exactly a force to be reckoned with. Is this his way of somehow trying to get attention of foreign press outside Japan or of MLB? This is another battle that is going to be decided in the media instead of the boardroom. Just like that other battle that was started on September 11 a couple of years back.
Foreign Correspondents Club
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 6, 2004 8:27 AM | YBS Fan ]

The Foreign Correspondents Club was an unusual venue to make the strke announcement. And the Japanese sports press is in full support of the players on this issue (except perhaps Sports Hochi, the Yomiuri sports daily - but not reading it, I can't say for sure). While Kintetsu may not be a big money maker for the press, the shrinking of NPB will effect the newspapers as well.

I don't think the purpose of the venue was to mobilize the foreign press. It was most likely that Furuta was invited since he is one of the major movers in current issues in Japan. Not being a member of the press, I can't state for certain. But I do think you're reading into it more than is there.
Re: Foreign Correspondents Club
[ Author: bouton-kun | Posted: Sep 6, 2004 3:56 PM ]

You are probably right. But he has been a catcher for quite some time, one of the more demanding positions in baseball. If he has lasted that long at that position he has got to be smarter then he looks.
Furuta
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 6, 2004 6:52 PM | YBS Fan ]

Furuta is one of those few players who both graduated from a university and played Industrial League ball (Toyota), then went on to play at least 10 years in the pros. When Nomura-kantoku hand picked Furuta as Yakult's catcher back in the fall of 1989, it was to teach him Nomura's "ID Yakyu." In 1990, Furuta became the first rookie catcher in the All Star Series since Tabata 21 years earlier.

Furuta is considered to be one of the most intelligent ball players in the game. As the chairman of the Players' Association, he's proven to be as smart off the field as on. Look at the quotes that have been flying around about the merger for example. The only thing that Watanabe says that doesn't get people upset with him is "no comment." Furuta, on the other hand, has been civil and open to compromise - if the owners wanted to talk. You'd think he were as skilled as an IBM lawer with his arguements and would make a great ambassador with his diplomacy skills. I'd like to know what Furuta studied at collage and worked at with Toyota. Anybody know? He doesn't strike me as a 100% baseball scholorship person.

According to Morioka's "Pro Yakyu Name Dictionary 2001," Furuta has been a catcher since third grade elementary school. He led his university to three consecutive league championships and participated in the Japan-U.S. University Games. While with Toyota, Furuta represented Japan in the 1988 Seoul Olympics. From what I've heard (it's not in Morioka's book), Furuta was passed up by the professional teams because he insisted on wearing glasses behind the plate.

I hold Furuta responsible for destroying Fuji TV's "Pro Yakyu News." After Furuta married the lead anchor, Nakai Miho, the show never recovered and has ultimately become nothing more than a segment of their nightly news. That was Furuta's main crime against society and Pro Yakyu.
Re: Furuta
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Sep 6, 2004 7:48 PM | HT Fan ]

- From what I've heard (it's not in Morioka's book), Furuta was passed up by the professional teams because he insisted on wearing glasses behind the plate.

Furuta's from Kawanishi - Hanshin Tiger territory - and from what I've heard, he really wanted to play for Hanshin, but they wouldn't have a bar of him because of the glasses. Don't know whether that story's true, but it sure sounds like the sort of decision the Tigers would have made at the time.
[ Author: CFiJ | Posted: Sep 6, 2004 10:23 PM ]

- I hold Furuta responsible for destroying Fuji TV's "Pro Yakyu News." After Furuta married the lead anchor, Nakai Miho, the show never recovered and has ultimately become nothing more than a segment of their nightly news. That was Furuta's main crime against society and Pro Yakyu.

I'm more inclined to blame Ishii. It was after he married Kisa Ayako and she left the show that the format completely changed and the entity known as "Pro Yakyuu News" died.
[ Author: bouton-kun | Posted: Sep 7, 2004 1:40 AM ]

Most college players with pro chances don't do much studying while at school. It is yakyu year around anyway. The schooling they get is neglible. Most of them aren't really into it either.

From what I've heard talking to players that have played in the Industrial Leagues, what they do when they don't play is light administrative work or picking up the phone.

Maybe Furuta is the exception to the rule, but I doubt it. He probably picked up his smartness playing the game day in, day out as a catcher. And why not?
Re: Foreign Correspondents Club
[ Author: Guest: bob whiting | Posted: Sep 7, 2004 2:48 AM ]

Michael, you're right. The FCCJ had been trying to get him and others related to the merger issue since last June. Furuta just had the good grace to say "yes."
[ Author: Guest: Tigers Baka | Posted: Sep 6, 2004 10:39 PM ]

So what was the actual announcement today by the players? I missed the news but heard second hand that they will be striking for the remaining weekends of the regular season. Can someone confirm that as I've got tickets to a midweek game coming up. Was there any mention of a total walkout before season's end?
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 7, 2004 4:41 AM ]

Kintetsu players association president Koichi Isobe, Sunday strongly suggested that the strike could be indefinite. I just think that if the players strike for only two days that won't send much of a message to the owners. They need to strike for a longer time than what they are doing. They have the support of the fans. [Link - Japan Times]
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 7, 2004 10:19 AM ]

Central League President Hajime Toyokura is threatening a lawsuit against the players if they strike. The owners continue to act like they have no sense. [Link - Japan Times]
[ Author: Guest: George Steinbrennernot | Posted: Sep 8, 2004 1:56 AM ]

What legal basis would Tokokura-san have to file, and more importantly, prevail in litigation against the players? Do the players have the legal right to strike in Japan?

I think the weekend strike is a show of force by the players, with a complete strike the next logical step. Why did the players wait so long to take action, with the season winding down?

Financially, I would think the owners would take a big hit if the playoffs and championships would be shut down. What is the financial impact on the players? Could they all be fired by the owners? Then what?

I am surprised that the fans are backing the players in this labor dispute, although I am glad they are. My perspective is simply from the lack of labor unrest in Japan as compared to the US, where strikes are more common. Is the fans' view that the owners are abusing the players and not living up to the social contract in place with most large Japanese corporations and their employees?

Sorry for my ignorance. I am late in picking up info on this.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Sep 8, 2004 8:56 AM | HT Fan ]

A strike is unprecedented in NPB; indeed, strikes are rare in Japan. Even stop-work meetings are rarely heard of, and it's hard to imagine broad national solidarity with striking workers in most situations. It's my impression that people avoid conflict here as much as possible by talking things over and sorting them out.

Given that background, I get the feeling that a complete strike now, or any strike that would have deprived fans of their baseball while the season was still young, would have earned the players less popular support than they have now. If the players do strike, they will get more sympathy by showing their reluctance to do so, e.g., by being open to talks, by striking at intervals at first, and by striking at the tail-end of the season.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Sep 8, 2004 9:15 AM ]

- Why did the players wait so long to take action, with the season winding down?

The players were probably hoping that the owners would change their mind.

- What is the financial impact on the players? Could they all be fired by the owners?

The players won't get paid during the strike, though I doubt they're really worried about that. They're worried about the future of the NPB. I doubt the owners will fire all the players, what message would send, a very negative one at that. Also, the players would probably leave to the majors, which the NPB doesn't want, and the fans would protest against the owners if this happens.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.