Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

The Tragedy

Discussion in the NPB News forum
The Tragedy
Oh woe is me! My beloved Fighters have lost their slight lead on the Marines! They lost Thursday's (September 23) game in the bottom of the 12th in Fukuoka to a home run by Yusaku Iriki. Straight to center field, with Babe ruth-type accuracy.

It all went to shambles as the Fighters' pitcher hit Nobuhiko Matsunaka with one out in the eighth, the Fighters leading 6-3. Kenji Johjima then hit a two run homer to make it 6-5 Fighters. What a nail-biter! Julio Zuleta (I don't like him) followed with hit his fith straight game with a homer to tie it up, 6-6.

Nothing is certain yet, but with the BlueWave coming up, it's do or die. Literally.

LUCKY 7
All for now.
Comments
Re: The Tragedy
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 24, 2004 9:40 PM | YBS Fan ]

- Nothing is certain yet, but with the BlueWave coming up, it's do or die. Literally.

Literally is right. If the two strike lost games are not made up (which it doesn't look like they will be), then a win tonight will clinch third, a tie will cause a one game playoff at Chiba Marine, and a loss will give the playoff spot to Lotte.

The last I saw, Nippon Ham was up by three runs in the seventh.
Tragedy No More
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Sep 24, 2004 9:44 PM | YBS Fan ]

Right after writing that, I watched the Buffaloes win a sayonara victory against the Lions in extra innings, and found that Nippon Ham has won.

I don't want to jump the gun, but if it's decided that the two games from last weekend are not made up, then the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters have made the playoffs.
Re: Tragedy No More
[ Author: Guest: Stevie | Posted: Sep 25, 2004 1:14 AM ]

It seems quite a shame, considering the strike has been averted for this weekend. With only one other Orix/Kintetsu game to make up, it seems a perfect fit to play last weekend's games this weekend and end up with the full slate.

Nothing against the Fighters, but I was hoping Bobby V.'s Marines would make it in there. If the season series results are an indication, Lotte makes a more interesting opponent in there. Both Lotte and Ham played Seibu at about the same level (12-15 for Ham, 11-15-1 for Lotte), but Lotte dominated the Hawks (15-10-2) as much as the Ham was dominated by Daiei (10-15-2).

Of course, the playoffs mean throwing all those stats out the window. So we'll all have to wait and see, I guess.

See you for the games this weekend! Yes!

- Stevie
[ Author: LUCKY 7 | Posted: Sep 25, 2004 4:32 AM | HT Fan ]

Yeh! Nippon Ham! I came just short of yelling out their name in my little suburb house, almost directly half way across the world.

Well, one is in. Now it comes down to Hanshin. Take a game from Hiroshima, sweep the Swallows, hope Yakult loses, and just do well.

Two teams, two close calls, one miracle, or two?

Lucky,

All for now.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Sep 25, 2004 12:16 PM | HT Fan ]

- Well, one is in. Now it comes down to Hanshin. Take a game from Hiroshima, sweep the Swallows, hope Yakult loses, and just do well.

Ah yes, but there are no playoffs in the Central League. The best Hanshin could hope for would be the satisfaction of making the top three "A-Class." Their season is just about over.
[ Author: LUCKY 7 | Posted: Sep 25, 2004 3:34 PM | HT Fan ]

That's what I am hoping for.
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Sep 26, 2004 8:28 AM | HT Fan ]

Oh. I've never understood how a team could be satisfied with third place ("at least we didn't come fourth").

The goal should be to win. Anything less than a pennant (or at least the chance to win a pennant) is hardly worth celebrating.

IMHO
[ Author: Guest: Tigers Baka | Posted: Sep 26, 2004 8:55 PM ]

Exactly, it's a 6 team league! It's first or nothing for mine! Who remembers who came 2nd or 3rd!?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.