Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Orix Signs Ramon Ortiz

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Orix Signs Ramon Ortiz
The Orix Buffaloes signed pitcher Ramon Ortiz [Baseball-Reference] to a one year deal worth 130 million yen.

Ortiz went 5-4 with a 5.45 ERA in 38 games/10 starts with the Twins and Rockies in 2007. He has a career 84-80 record with a 4.90 ERA in 258 games/210 starts.

Source: Japan Ball
Comments
Re: Orix Signs Ramon Ortiz
[ Author: Guest: Gary Garland | Posted: Apr 2, 2008 10:11 PM ]

Collins managed Ortiz at Anaheim and I wondered if Collins would take a run at him after Ortiz was released. My memory is that the Angels had hoped that Ortiz, who at least used to have a good arm but a whole lot of inconsistency, would be their Pedro Martinez down the road. Obviously, that never materialized.

I also wonder if Rudy Seanez will end up in Japan now that his MLB career is likely over.
[ Author: Jbroks86 | Posted: Apr 3, 2008 4:32 AM | SFT Fan ]

- I also wonder if Rudy Seanez will end up in Japan now that his MLB career is likely over

It looks like Seanez will end up with the Phillies, there is supposedly a deal in the works [MLB.com].

As for Ortiz, he has cut down on the walks and become more consistent. Though it will be interesting how Collins and Orix precede with the inconsistent Ortiz.
[ Author: TimMac | Posted: Apr 3, 2008 5:20 AM ]

Apparently the Phillies signed Seanez this past Wednesday. With Lidge on the DL, and Gordon having a rather shaky start to 08, he could, despite a poor spring, be a nice addition to that bullpen.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 3, 2008 8:59 AM ]

Ortiz was the MVP of the Carribean Series last February. In 2 games (11 2/3 innings) he didn't give up a run.
[ Author: Guest: Enrique Rojas | Posted: Apr 6, 2008 12:15 AM ]

Hello guys. Somebody know when Ramon Ortiz will debut for Orix this season?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Apr 8, 2008 9:52 AM | YBS Fan ]

He'll probably start a game or two on the farm team for evaluation before being brought up.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 11, 2008 7:32 PM ]

They signed Ramon Ortiz two weeks ago. Where is he?
OT: LaRocca?
[ Author: Guest: Jerseyboy5726 | Posted: Apr 19, 2008 2:47 PM ]

What happened to Greg LaRocca of Orix? He had a good year last year but seems to be totally out of it this season. Does anyone know the story on him?
Re: OT: LaRocca?
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Apr 20, 2008 12:39 AM ]

LaRocca has struggled this year. Collins just wants him to relax. He was sent down to the minors to get his stroke back. He'll be back soon.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.