Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Foreign Dreams vs. Japan Dreams

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Foreign Dreams vs. Japan Dreams
The Pro Yakyu Charity Game will be held on March 14, 2005 at the Tokyo Dome. The game will pit "foreign" players against "Japanese" players to raise money for victims of the recent Japanese earthquakes and typhoons as well as the Indian Ocean Tsunami survivors.

The "Foreign Dreams" will be managed by the Marines' Bobby Valentine with assisstance from the Fighters' Trey Hillman. The Giants' Tuffy Rhodes and the Fighters' Fernando Seguignol are amoung the players on the foreign team. The Fighter's Shinji Takahashi and the Marines' Tomoya Satozaki will be loaned to the "catcherless" Foreign Dreams.

The Lions' Tsutomu Ito and the BayStars' Kazuhiko Ushijima will lead the "Japan Dreams." The Japanese team will include the Hawks' Nobuhiko Matsunaka and Shigenobu Shima of the Carp.

Resource: Graczyk, Wayne (2005, February 23). Baseball Bulletin. The Japan Times.
Comments
Starting Lineups
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 12, 2005 1:56 PM | YBS Fan ]

The starting lineups for the Charity Dream Game on White Day (March 14) have been announced.

For the Japan Dreams:For the Foreign Dreams:As mentioned above, the game will be held at Tokyo Dome and proceeds will go to helping the survivors of Typhoon #23 and subsequent earthquakes that hit Niigata last October and the tsunami that hit the Indian Ocean. Special uniforms (tops) will be worn and go on auction at both Rakuten and Yahoo! (Softbank owns Yahoo! Japan) after the game to raise additional money for the disaster relief fund.

I'll be covering the play-by-play via Internet radio here. The game will be replayed (if all goes well, this is new territory) a number of times thereafter.

After some experiments with a MS Windows guiny pig (user), I've decided to stick with MP3 streams instead of Ogg streams. MP3 doesn't require any additional codec downloads and/or installation. I was also unable to get Ogg to play with iTunes on OS X (10.2.8) by default. It appears that Ogg is only available by default on media players for Linux and the *BSDs.

I hope a few of you can tune in.
Re: Foreign Dreams vs. Japan Dreams
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 14, 2005 10:53 PM | YBS Fan ]

The Japan Dreams defeating the Foreign Dreams by a score of 5-3. It was a very good game, fast paced, and with a number of great plays, especially by Kosaka and Kawasaki.

You can download the entire 2 1/2 hour game in MP3 format here (52 17MB). Hopefully your media player will play it while it's downloading. As an alternative, you may tune in to streaming reruns of the broadcast available here entitled 20050314live CharityDreamGame. The reruns will restart every four hours, starting at 0:00, 4:00, 8:00, 12:00, 16:00, and 20:00 JST Reruns will be broadcast continuously every day for the time being. I'm not sure how long I'll keep them going.

This was my first attempt at broadcasting. It is not a professional job. I hope to improve with time. And I would appriciate any constructive critiques toward that goal.

[Updated on Mar 16, 2005 1:17 PM JST]

[Updated on Mar 27, 2005 10:16 PM JST with reduced audio file size.]
First English NPB Internet Broadcast
[ Author: Guest: Simon A Timms | Posted: Mar 15, 2005 7:48 AM ]

Michael,

I was one of the listeners to your "historic" first broadcast. Personally, I found it much more enjoyable than reading the typed-up ones you usually do.

I realize that this was your first broadcast but I found that you paused a bit too long in many places - to the extent that I began to wonder whether you were still on air. When I have listened to cricket commentators in New Zealand they have managed to keep up a constant stream of info. But then they have all been doing it for years and this was your first go.

Otherwise, the broadcast was better than being there! I am looking forward to your next broadcast and hope that other Pro Yakyu fans will take the chance to hear the Commish live!

Dewa mata (Japanese for "See you later").

Simon A. Timms
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.