Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

First Open-Sen Sees Rakuten and Orix as Winners

Discussion in the NPB News forum
First Open-Sen Sees Rakuten and Orix as Winners
Open-san (pre-season games) have begun, and the big news was Rakuten defeating the mighty Giants by a score of 4-3. Rakuten's new ace, Ichiba, threw the first three innings giving up two runs, an RBI double off the fense by Kiyohara, and a solo home run by Takahashi. Myette, who is supposed to be their closer this season, gave up a base hit and three walks, walking in the tying run in the eighth inning, but then finished the Giants in order in the nineth thanks to a game ending double play.

Rakuten's offense pounded out 10 hits, Yamashita hitting a double and a two run home run. Catcher Fujii also hit a solo home run. With the game tied in the top of the nineth, Saitoh was hit to lead off the inning, but thrown out trying to steal second. After Maeda grouned out to short for the second out, an error and three base hits put Rakuten up by a run, going on to win 4-3.

Meanwhile, the other half of the broken up team set, the Orix Buffaloes, ate Tiger for lunch, handilly defeating the Tigers 11-3. I have no idea what Okada-kantoku is thinking, leaving Sugiyama in there for four innings so early. Orix scored 6 runs on 9 hits against Sugiyama in four innings. Darwin Cubillan (from the Orioles) relieved him in the fifth and proceeded to give up five more runs over the next two innings. Yoshino, Nakamura, and Kubota then shut down the Buffaloes, holding them hitless over the final three innings.

So, the two broken teams (that's how I see them, not as a merged team and a new team) come out strong in the first day of open-sen. Does is mean that shaking up the line-ups can make two weak teams both stronger? It's too early to tell. But this is encouraging.

In the other open-sen played yesterday (February 26), Seibu defeated Hiroshima 9-7. Yokohama vs. Chunichi was rained out.

Comments
Re: First Open-Sen Sees Rakuten and Orix as Winners
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Feb 27, 2005 6:04 PM | HAN Fan ]

Okada seems to be trying out various combinations and not taking these games seriously (at least that's what I hope he's doing).

Today's (Febuary 27) Tigers won 3-2 on a pitching line up of Fujita, Fujikawa, Sakumoto, Hashimoto, and Makino. Apart from the eighth, they were pretty much in control. The Giants also won 3-0.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 27, 2005 7:34 PM | YBS Fan ]

- Okada seems to be trying out various combinations and not taking these games seriously [...]

But why leave Sugiyama in for four innings? At this point, most managers expect about three innings out of their starters, four if they're really throwing well. Sugiyama really struggled to get out of the fourth inning of that game. Is Okada-kantoku trying to see how much Sugiyama can take? Before Sugiyama is at 100% strength in Spring? Will that tell him something about Sugiyama once the season starts? I just don't understand the reasoning behind leaving him in so long at this point.
[ Author: Guest: Tigers Baka | Posted: Feb 27, 2005 11:48 PM ]

I watched the replay of the game in Kochi on J Sports tonight, and Fujita (or Taiyo as he prefers) was solid on the mound. Had control and clawed his way out when he got behind in the count. Sure it's early days, but it's good to see one of the lesser knowns have a good outing.

As for Okada's use of pitchers, please refer to 90% of my posts from last season. The guy defies comprehension.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Feb 28, 2005 9:20 AM | HAN Fan ]

Well, as Tigers Baka notes, his decisions do defy comprehension. I do remember him leaving Yoshino in when the poor guy was getting hammered and begging to be taken off - maybe a similar impulse on Okada's part. Today's Daily Sports cartoon is quite good on Sugiyama. Okada, though, is still aiming for a six pitcher starting rotation which is to be Igawa, Fukuhara, Nohmi, Shimoyanagi, Brown, and Fujita.
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: Feb 28, 2005 10:39 AM ]

- Okada, though, is still aiming for a six pitcher starting rotation

What basis is there for Okada to have a six-man rotation? I just don't see any need for a six-man rotation in this age.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Feb 28, 2005 12:49 PM | HAN Fan ]

Your guess is as good as mine, but I think last season he mentioned something about not tiring out pitchers too much and avoiding injury.
[ Author: Guest: Luis Raul Villamizar | Posted: Mar 2, 2005 3:50 AM ]

Do you Know the Venezuelans' performances? Thanks a lot.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.