Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japanese Possibilities for the MLB for 2002-3

Discussion in the NPB News forum
Japanese Possibilities for the MLB for 2002-3
I've posted my promised article on major league equivalents of the leading free agents and reasonably likely to be posted players at:

http://baseballguru.com/jalbright/analysisjalbright19.html

Jim Albright
Comments
Re: Japanese Possibilities for the MLB for 2002-3
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Nov 13, 2002 1:33 AM | HT Fan ]

Great read, Jim. Thanks for putting in the work. One question: Why would you be reluctant to put up $4.5 million or more a year for Nakamura if you were an MLB GM? Adjusted to your MLB estimates, Nori hit .278/.365/.485 over the past three years -- numbers that are right in line with what MLB All-Stars Scott Rolen (.283/.368/.513) and Mike Lowell (.277/.343/.464) produced across the same span. The Cardinals recently signed Rolen to an eight-year, $90 million contract extension, and Lowell most likely will command a lot more than $4.5 million per year when he qualifies for free agency after 2003.

I don't think Nakamura is worth Rolen dollars, but what's an 850 OPS at third worth? Edgardo Alfonso, who produced an 851 OPS for the Mets in 2002, was paid $5.725 million; Robin Ventura, who produced an 826 OPS for the Yankees in 2002, was paid $8.5 million; World Series MVP Troy Glaus, who produced an 805 OPS for the Angels in 2002, was paid $3.5 million, and he'll earn three times that after he qualifies for free agency. $4.5 or more million a year for Nori sounds all right to me.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Nov 13, 2002 6:54 AM ]

Thanks for the kind words. There is one big difference between Nakamura and the players you mentioned: age. At best, Nakamura is at an age where he is likely at the very top of his game, and will only come down. His range afield will also likely suffer. It may not be rapid at first, but it will accelerate. Rolen or any player who has not given up any of his free agent rights is likely not yet at his peak, or at least is not on the downside. If you're talking a one or two year deal, yeah, maybe I'd go for that, but no more than 3 years. I just believe the economics say that Nakamura is more valuable in Japan than he is in the majors at this time. That's why I think he will stay.

Jim Albright

[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Nov 13, 2002 9:38 AM | HT Fan ]

I don't think age is an issue. Nakamura's 29 (7-24-73), Lowell's 28 (2-24-74) and Rolen's 27 (4-4-75), so the three are separated by less than two years. Do you really believe that age will be catching up to Nori by the time he's 32? Rolen will be 35 when his contract with the Cardinals expires.

Quality 3rd baseman are few and far between in the Majors at the moment. Nori's adjusted OPS (.840) was surpassed by only four MLB starters at the hot corner this season -- All-Star Eric Chavez (.844), AL Rookie of the Year Eric Hinske (.850), Edgardo Alfonso (.851) and All-Star Scott Rolen (.853). That's some elite company. Nakamura could be the answer at 3rd for a lot of teams on either side of the Pacific.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Nov 13, 2002 11:13 AM ]

The one thing neither of us have touched on is that, in other threads in this site, I have seen Nakamura's alleged market value in Japan as much greater than his current $4.5 million. Third basemen of his quality are rare in Japan, too, and a Japanese player like him can fetch a premium in Japan for staying. I just think that if a were a major league GM, there's little point to getting into a bidding war you are likely to lose either by a Japanese team outbidding you or by paying the player considerably more than he's worth. From the comments I've read, he's a competent third baseman but no more. The others are at least that good (some like Rolen are much better) *and* younger.

Jim Albright
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Nov 13, 2002 2:20 PM | HT Fan ]

I guess it boils down to how much a solid bat at 3rd base is worth. Yomiuri's offer appears to be 4 years at $6.25 million per year and it looks like Hanshin will counter with 8 years at $4 million per year. Assuming Nakamura would produce at the level you project, neither of those offers are worth more than what Nori would be worth to an MLB club. The Mariners paid Jeff Cirillo $6.125 million for his .629 OPS this year. Talk about a guy getting paid more than he's worth.

If I were a GM in the States with a hole at 3rd and money to spend, I'd offer Nori a 5 year/$25 to $30 million deal with a clear conscience. It might not be enough to lure him to North America. Then again, Ichiro took less money to play in the Majors and I suspect Godzilla will end up doing the same. Why not try?

I agree that the four players I listed in my last post are at least as good as Nakamura and younger, but I only listed *four* players and there are 30 MLB teams. At least half of those 26 could stand to improve at 3rd, and probably 5 or 6 of those have the budget to make a run at Nakamura.

[ Author: Guest | Posted: Nov 13, 2002 9:12 PM ]

I think 1908-san is right on the money (no pun intended) in his analysis. Another example that might apply here is David Bell, who is attracting a surprising amount of interest already, considering the amount of minor league 3b talent.

Teams like Arizona, which might be better off looking to its own minor league system, will be courting Bell, and there will certainly be teams interested in Nakamura.
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Nov 14, 2002 11:08 AM | HT Fan ]

According to another thread, Kintetsu has offered Nakamura a 6-year, 3.6 billion yen deal, which is just under $5 million per year at the current rate of exchange, and right in line with the offers outlined above.
How Nori Stacks Up
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Dec 1, 2002 1:58 AM | HT Fan ]

For ha's, here's how Nakamura compares to some notable MLB starters at the hot corner -- and Akinori Iwamura, who has a potentially bright future in the Majors as well, IMO. All stats are averaged over the past three seasons, and I adjusted the Japanese players' numbers according to Jim's projections, adding HP for on-base percentage purposes.

NameAge*GABH2B3BHRTBBBHPAVGOBPSlg.OPSIsoP
Glaus26159573150331393031025.262.378.529.907.267
Nevin3213349714927028260563.300.374.523.897.223
Rolen27145539153335272776610.284.372.514.886.230
Chavez2515254615332231282562.280.349.516.866.236
Alfonzo2913649714629119235696.294.386.473.859.179
Nakamura2915959016430130286855.278.374.485.858.207
Lowell2914955215340021256548.277.350.464.814.187
Ventura3514146311120024203792.240.353.438.791.199
Mueller321113791032038153473.272.357.401.758.129
Iwamura2415857215728914245415.274.328.428.757.154
Randa3315358116333413242417.281.335.417.752.136
Bell3014149212627115202416.256.321.411.732.154

* As of Opening Day, 2003.

Re: How Nori Stacks Up
[ Author: Guest: cro | Posted: Dec 10, 2002 5:16 AM ]

I posted this somewhere else: is Nori interested in coming to the States? That seems to be a basic question. Matsui, Ichiro, et al wanted to come here. Sure he's making a visit, but does he want to come. And let's also keep this in mind: if he likes it here, his cost of living should be lower.

Another thing: despite the great numbers, it's pretty tough to compare players from one league to another. Though the talent is there, it's still a better comparison to look at Rolen vs. Chavez, etc. than to look at Nori vs. all MLB players.

Lastly, if the M's can dump Cirillo, would Nori give more consideration to them since they clearly have the most comfortable situation for any player coming in from Japan?
Re: How Nori Stacks Up
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Dec 10, 2002 10:13 AM | HT Fan ]

Is Nori interested in coming to the States?

I doubt anyone here can read his mind. Time will tell.

Another thing: despite the great numbers, it's pretty tough to compare players from one league to another.

That's what sabermetrics are for: To make the most educated of guesses on how players across different eras, leagues and now, even continents compare to each other. Is it 100% accurate? Of course not, but it's the best method available, IMO.

Lastly, if the M's can dump Cirillo...

LMAO! Good luck. I don't see Cirillo going anywhere unless the M's take someone else's problem contract in return. See Hundley for Karros trade.
Is Nori interested in coming to the States?
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Dec 11, 2002 7:40 AM | HT Fan ]

Nori quoted in Japan Today:

"I heard the meeting doesn't mean an official offer but the Mets would just like to meet with me. I feel like I'm finally making progress," said Nakamura, who is in New York with his family and agent.

The two-time Pacific League RBI king, who is currently in talks with Kintetsu and the Hanshin Tigers, said he will now probably visit the Mets' home field in hopes of receiving an offer from the National League club.

"I've said from the beginning that it would be best if I could make a decision on destination between playing in Japan and the U.S. I'd like to visit Shea Stadium," the 29-year-old said.

Re: Is Nori interested in coming to the States?
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Dec 17, 2002 10:04 PM | HT Fan ]

It looks like the Mets have a chance to sign Norihiro Nakamura for two years at $3 million a season plus another $2 million per in incentives. An option for a third year would kick in if he met those incentives. So they'd be risking only $6 million for a potential 900 OPS bat at third. I really wish the Cubs, who haven't had a decent 3rd sacker since Ron Cey, had pursued this, and I think that many, many MLB GM's will be kicking themselves in hindsight.
Re: Is Nori interested in coming to the States?
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Dec 18, 2002 9:15 AM | HT Fan ]

On NHK news last night, Nori was saying after his third round of negotiations with Hanshin that for him, it comes down to a choice of "chasing my dream, i.e., playing in the majors" or "facing up to reality, which would mean playing in Japan".

Taken alone, that comment implies to me that he is leaning heavily towards going to MLB.
[ Author: Guest: Jake Vaccaro | Posted: Nov 15, 2002 12:07 AM ]

Very interesting! But you seem to have put Ichiro's translations under Shinjo's name as well.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Nov 15, 2002 1:25 PM ]

Thanks for both the kind words and bringing that to my attention. The webmaster has been struggling with the formatting to get it to appear properly, and apparently made a wrong insertion. I have called it to his attention.

Jim Albright
[ Author: Guest: KJOK | Posted: Nov 26, 2002 7:01 AM ]

Jim:

Great stuff. A couple of minor points:

1. I think the pitcher W/L formula must also have some display problem. As currently displayed, a pitcher's W/L record gets BETTER as his ERA goes up..

2. I know you were not factoring in park adjustments, BUT I think just using the inverse of hitter HR's for pitchers is causing the pitcher HR totals to be too high to the extent that the decrease in HR's from Japan to US and vice versa is due to differences in parks. Just playing around with the numbers, it looks like a 1.28 factor would work better.

THANKS,
KJOK
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Nov 26, 2002 10:47 AM ]

I don't know how you reached your conclusion about the higher ERA and win percentage unless one of two things happened:
1) You are looking at relievers, who I did not spell out did not have their win/loss records adjusted as much because those records are highly dependent upon the way the pitcher is used, or
2) The difficulty we have had in formatting this stuff for the web is creating a display which confuses you.

As far as the ERA goes, my adjustment is in that range anyway, and, as I said, pitcher records have far less predictive value, and therefore the discrepancies can be largely due to that.

Thanks for reading and thanks for the kind words.

Jim Albright
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Dec 21, 2002 5:06 AM | HT Fan ]

Jim,

Your article was recently mentioned by Rob Neyer on ESPN.com. Congrats. Welcome to the big time.

[Link]
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Dec 21, 2002 2:04 PM ]

Thanks. I guess we'll be seeing more traffic at baseballguru soon.

Jim
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Jan 28, 2003 1:02 PM | HT Fan ]

Jim,

Any idea as to the factor for strikeouts?
Re: Japanese Possibilities for the MLB for 2003-4
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Feb 10, 2003 9:23 AM ]

As for strikeouts, I simply did not figure them for batters (and I believe other studies have not shown adjustments of this data to be particularly accurate).

As for 2004's possibles, I'm not even going to think about such an article until near the end of the coming season. For one thing, the 2003 data is an essential part of the picture. Also, while we might be able to determine whose contracts are up, etc., we don't know who will sign during the season. Frankly, the article I did included a lot of guys who never got a look by the majors (and some who didn't demonstrate the talent to deserve one). That degree of spinning my wheels is something I can live with. However, spinning my wheels over guys who sign contract extensions during the season is the kind of wheel spinning I have no intention of doing.

In review, any article done now would be incomplete (no 2003 data) and could well involve a lot of wasted effort. Besides, an article on 2004 just isn't timely now. I've got other fish I want to fry first. If you're interested in doing it now, my article tells you how to do the conversions, and I'm sure the people on this list can help assemble a list of 2004 free agents/good candidates for posting.

Sorry for what may seem like a lengthy rant, but until somebody pays me for my articles, I'll write what I want, when I want.

Jim Albright
Re: Japanese Possibilities for the MLB for 2003-4
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Feb 10, 2003 10:25 AM | HT Fan ]

As for strikeouts, I simply did not figure them for batters (and I believe other studies have not shown adjustments of this data to be particularly accurate).

I see. Out of curiosity, why did you include Ks in your estimates for Oh?
Strike Out Conversions
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Feb 11, 2003 4:42 AM ]

Actually, I somewhat misspoke when I said I didn't do the strikeout data for current players. I won't do conversions in this area any more because 1) strike outs have little or nothing to do with a hitter's productivity, and 2) this article ["Minor League Equivalencies"] suggests that projections of walks and strikeouts aren't very reliable. I'll continue to do walks because they are so essential to evaluating a player's productivity. I did Oh's strikeouts because I was unaware of that article when I did the Oh projection.

However, because I did pitchers, and strikeouts are so critical to evaluating them, I actually did collect that data for 1992-2002. The article gives the pitcher strikeout conversion as 1.054, so the hitter conversion factor, if you wish to use it (I won't recommend it) is the inverse of that (1 divided by 1.054, or 0.949).

Jim Albright
Re: Strike Out Conversions
[ Author: 1908 | Posted: Feb 11, 2003 11:16 AM | HT Fan ]

Thanks for the conversion number and thanks for the link to the article, too. I'm not using the strikeouts to measure a hitter's productivity, but to look at a hitter's batting average on balls hit into play (by removing K's and HR's from the equation).
[ Author: Guest: Will | Posted: Feb 10, 2003 1:50 AM ]

Have you begun an article looking forward to 2004? I'm very excited about seeing Little Matsui over here, but I have no idea who else is a free agent or might be posted. Any ideas? Matsuzaka possibly?
[ Author: Guest: M dupler | Posted: Oct 1, 2003 4:55 AM ]

With the 2003 regular season complete, I took a look back at the projections for Matsui. Generally gave a good profile of him as a hitter, but HRs are down. Do you attribute that to special park effects in Yankee Stadium or to susceptibility to some particular pitches?

Will you be re-calibrating the equivalency with another year of data - would love to see it.

And thank you.
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Oct 1, 2003 10:51 AM ]

You're welcome. Some time after the playoffs end, we'll amass a list of the eligibles, and I'll do an article on the best candidates. However, I doubt much would be gained by adding one more year to the previous ten. It's a fair amount of work, and really, it hasn't changed dramatically since the CL of 1960-80 (which I did for Oh).

You've hit on one point, which is that due to a lack of Japanese park data, I don't do park effects at all. Unless a hitter is a dead-pull lefty, Yankee Stadium is a pretty tough home run park.

Beyond that, the method is an average, and some players adjust at a pace better than average, and some worse. Matsui is either in the below average pace of conversion, or his learning curve is just a little slower to come around. Frankly, a patient power hitter like Matsui benefits a great deal from knowing pitchers and what to look for from them that he can hit. Players like him (see Jim Thome in the NL this year) often lag a little in power and/or average in their first year in a new league. I'd reserve judgment on him until he's well into next year (barring injury), though I will note there have been many comments about his having to adapt to a Major League slider.

Jim Albright
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.