Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Gomez

Discussion in the Tiger Tails forum
Gomez
Gomez has officially joined the Tigers after the birth of his new child. At least this time Tigers waited and allowed him to stay behind until his daughter was better unlike Bass. Gomez has been allocated No. 5 and is intended to bat No. 4 and field at first base. Comments are invited from those who know his abilities. As far as Tigers fans in Japan are concerned - he could fail as so many of the Tigers batting selections have or he could succeed though the record suggests the former.
Comments
Re: Gomez
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 11, 2014 11:04 PM | YBS Fan ]

Not very optimistic, are we?
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Feb 12, 2014 7:37 AM | HAN Fan ]

Given the success rate of Tigers in choosing foreign power hitters direct from America I think optimism would be misplaced.
[ Author: Guest: Mookster | Posted: Feb 17, 2014 11:51 AM ]

Your pessimism is well founded. Hits for power but strikes out a lot. Below average speed on the base paths and below average defensively. Had a couple of good years in triple A but never made an impact in the majors. A highly unremarkable career so I'm surprised he showed up on Hanshin's radar or maybe it's not surprising given Hanshin's history of foreign signings.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.