Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

What can one say? - September 5th - 7th

Discussion in the Tiger Tails forum
What can one say? - September 5th - 7th
There isn't much to say about this feeble batting performance from the Tigers and feeble it was. The first game was suspect and Okada (Tigers former manager) went as far as accusing the Tigers of deliberately losing. He had a point as there was no way this lineup should have failed to score runs off a 49 year old pitcher. It says a lot for the paucity of the Dragons resources that Yamamoto is still considered first team material and a lot for the Tigers that they can contrive not to score against him. The final score in that game was 6-0. Wada also discovered that Tsuruoka is not necessarily the catcher to put with Nohmi who is unaffected by who he has behind the plate. Still anyone could have told him that.
In the second game of the series Fujinami demonstrated that once again he couldn't hold a lead. This is more down to the abysmal pitching coaching as the year before and before Tigers coaches got to him he was quite good. Tigers also actually scored some runs this game but still lost out 7-2 with Fukuhara having an off day in particular. Finally the third game was a boring grind which saw some nice calling behind the plate but once again no batting support against mediocre pitching. Dragons won this 2-0 sweeping the hopeless Tigers. Gomez got himself ejected as well for saying something insulting to the umpire. So Tigers failed to secure a single victory against a tired old side and practically blew any chance they had of taking the championship. Now answer me this - what justification is there for offering Wada another contract when he can't even manage a side to secure a championship?
Comments
Re: What can one say? - September 5th - 7th
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Sep 8, 2014 3:11 PM ]

> In the second game of the series Fujinami
> demonstrated that once again he couldn't hold a lead.

* The Tigers never led. They went down 2-0, tied it up in the top of the sixth, then gave up the lead in the bottom of the inning.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Sep 8, 2014 4:00 PM | HAN Fan ]

My mistake - for some reason I thought that Tigers had scored in the first (that was Chunichi so it was just wishful thinking).
[ Author: Guest: GG | Posted: Sep 8, 2014 6:32 PM ]

i can think of a few things to say, im sure one could easily guess what they are...

were the accusations of an intentional loss serious, or simply said to highlight how outlandish the loss was? either way, it a great that someone with some weight behind them has publicly called Wada out and put pressure on the organization at a critical time.
seibu was in 2nd last year and their manager resigned early into this pathetic season. an epic collapse at the end of hanshin's otherwise acceptable season ought to push Wada in the same direction if he has any sense of loyalty to the team.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Sep 8, 2014 7:43 PM | HAN Fan ]

The accusations were of the nature that because Yamamoto was an old experienced pitcher Tigers threw the game. Of course they were couched in diplomatic language but methinks Okada would like his old job back and is seeing a chance.
[ Author: Guest: GG | Posted: Sep 10, 2014 11:18 AM ]

wow, things are getting ugly. gotta say though, that its nice fans werent given any reason to get our hopes up. losing the first of a must-win series is less painful than losing the last. wonder if hanshin has it in them to at least hold off DeNA

also good to see some fan protests get national coverage, its really getting hot for management
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Sep 10, 2014 7:48 PM | HAN Fan ]

Tigers need to win a significant portion of the next nine games to be assured of a Climax Series place. Furthermore, Wada, who's position was secure last month is now under threat. If he doesn't deliver he will be out.
[ Author: Guest: GG | Posted: Sep 10, 2014 8:12 PM ]

and if they make CS, then what? presuming they do as #3, it will be apparent that the threat of imminent "resignation" is what gets results from wada. will that continue through next season, or will there be a return to status quo?

if they are in the CS or somehow make it through to the nippon series (a serious uphill battle), unless management is willing to hold the axe over wada's head all of next season, give wada a bonus to make him feel good and then send him home. it shouldnt have come to this in the first place.

as i finish typing this, a kyojin home run, 1-1.
my internal struggle between the desire for short-term or long-term success gets easier with every game, soon the decision will be made for me!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.