Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Nakamura 9th Youngest to Reach 200

Discussion in the Records and Milestones forum
Nakamura 9th Youngest to Reach 200
In the current close battle for 2nd place in the Pacific League, Nakamura helped the Buffaloes defeat the front running Hawks 15-8 last night (6/13) with a solo home run and 3 RBIs.  The home run was Nakamura's 200th of his career, making him the 72nd player to reach the 200 mark.  Currently in his 10th year, Nakamura ranks as the 9th youngest player to hit 200, as he's 27 years and 10 months old.

So, who was the youngest?  The Giants' (previously Lions') Kiyohara at 24 years and 10 months.  Kiyohara currently has hit 427 career home runs.

Godzilla (the Giants' Matsui) was second youngest, hitting number 200 at 25 years and 3 months in 1999.  He's got a career 61 round tripper lead over the big Buffaloe.

The home run king of the world, Oh, follows Matsui by a month, 25 years and 4 months, hitting a grand total of 868 home runs in his career.

To try to catch Oh, Nomura commented, "I want to play until I'm 40."  He also said, "I'm really happy to have been able to hit one in front of my family who came to chear me on."

Nakamura currently leads the Pacific League in batting average (.369), hits (90), total bases (173), walks (45), and on base percentage (.468).  His .709 slugging percentage is second to Seibu's Cabrara (.752) who leads the league in home runs with 29.  Team mate Rhodes (who also hit one out last night) is in second place with home runs with 24, ranking Nakamura 3rd with 23.

What can one say about this hefty Buffaloe?  Leading hitter, power hitter, sound defense (only 3 errors at the hot corner), family man.  This is the new poster child for the Pacific League.

About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.