Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Ortiz Hits for Cycle

Discussion in the Records and Milestones forum
Ortiz Hits for Cycle
BlueWave Jose Oriz, with a double in the 10th inning as Seibu Dome on May 3, 2003, became the 54th player in NPB history to hit for the cycle (58th time it's been accomplished). It's the 29th cycle to have been hit in the Pacific League, the last one being hit by Matsui Kazuo family name first as it done in Japanese) on June 7, 2000, also at Seibu Dome.

In the top of the first inning, Ortiz hit a one out triple to right, then scored the first run of the game on Tani's home run to left. Orix jumped out to an early 2-0 lead. Jose then drove in the first of seven Orix runs in the third inning with a single up the middle. The Lions answered with two runs in the bottom of the third, but Orix continued to lead 9-2.

After grounding out to short in the 4th inning, Oritz hit a solo home run to left in the top of the sixth, showing he can hit to all parts of the field, and lifting Orix to a 11-2 lead. But the Lions hit around plus two in the bottom of the sixth, scoring eight runs to tighten game game 11-10.

Orix added another run in the seventh inning before Oriz grounded out to the pitcher to retire the side. But Leon's pitchers couldn't hold onto that two run lead, giving up single runs in the eighth and ninth innings to knot the game at 12-12.

Ortiz got Orix going in the top of the 10th inning with a lead-off double to left. From second base, he asked that the ball be taken out of play for his mantle case, as this completed his cycle. Unfortunately, he wasn't brought around to score, Roosevelt Brown needing a triple for the cycle, being intentionally walked after one out.

In the 12th inning, Oritz fouled out to the catcher and Brown hit into an inning ending double play to end Orix's last chance at a victory. Pitching did hold out, though, and they held Seibu scoreless despite three walks (one intentional). So the game ended in a 12-12 draw after five hours and four minutes.
Comments
Re: Ortiz Hits for Cycle
[ Author: Guest: null | Posted: May 7, 2003 2:45 PM ]

Could you please tell me what "hits for cycle" means?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: May 8, 2003 9:34 AM | YBS Fan ]

Is this a troll? Or are you not really a baseball fan, but happen to know a player?

I'm going to answer this one with the question I've been giving my daughter lately when she asks "what does '_____' mean?"

From the above context, what do you think it means?

Hint: What special combination of "hits" did Oritz get when he "completed his cycle"? What was it about Brown's combination that was different to be short by a triple?

All the information you need to understand the word is written in the article above. All you need to do is think about it. This often goes for when I use Nihongo in articles - the meaning is often obvious based on the context. (OK, sometimes you need to know some cultural or other background information, but it holds true in general.)
[ Author: Guest: C'mon now | Posted: Jun 2, 2003 1:09 AM ]

"Hitting for the cycle" means you get at least one of each hit: single, double, triple, and home run in one game.

How about that crazy Ichiro batting average in May?
[ Author: Sara B | Posted: Jun 3, 2003 9:46 AM | HT Fan ]

Well, I used to hit for the cycle Bronx-style by making sure my ex's dirty clothes got safely through the coin-op machine in our apartment building... many things used to disappear between "rinse" and "spin."

But seriously, I cannot recall a player hitting for the cycle either for my beloved Hanshin Tigers or NY Yankees. A rare feat, and thus an occasion for us all to congratulate Ortiz. Taishita mono ne! We toast you with sake and celebrate your joy.
Jose Ortiz - Post Cycle
[ Author: Guest: ortiz fan | Posted: May 27, 2003 12:13 PM ]

How is Jose doing since hitting for the cycle? Has anyone seen his games? Is he taming down his swing since leaving the U.S.?
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.