Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Tallest NPB Pitcher?

Discussion in the Records and Milestones forum
Tallest NPB Pitcher?
Has there ever been a pitcher in NPB taller than Eric Hillman?
Comments
Re: Tallest NPB Pitcher?
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Aug 28, 2006 10:11 AM | HT Fan ]

Shohei "Giant" Baba was probably the tallest of them all at 209 cm (as opposed to Hillman, who is 208 cm). That's 6'10".

Giant Baba played for the Giants between 1955 and 1959, but he didn't see much action. He then went on to become a successful pro wrestler.
[ Author: Shinigami | Posted: Aug 29, 2006 5:01 PM | FSH Fan ]

Lol. I never knew Baba played pro baseball!

I knew about him for his famous pro wrestling stories, and his famous move juroku-mon kick.

Anyone got his stats when he played for the Giants?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Aug 29, 2006 10:16 PM | YBS Fan ]

I've entered them here.

Of note, the official Encyclopedia has his height at 200 cm and 90 kg. Wikipedia [in Japanese] has him at 209 cm and 135 kg. I can see the weight gain after joining pro wrestling, but to grow 9 cm? Well, he was drafted out of high school (dropped out), so that may have been his height and weight at 17 years old.

This page [Niigata born Pro Yakyu players - in Japanese] states that Baba had 12 wins at ni-gun in 1956 and 13 wins in 1957 when he was called up. His only ichi-gun loss was to Sugishita Shigeru of the Dragons at Korakuen Stadium, the game being Sugishita's 200th career win.

So officially Baba was not the tallest pitcher in NPB.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Oct 23, 2006 4:07 PM ]

Eric Hillman was listed as 6'10" (208cm).
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.