Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Eagles vs. Royals

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Eagles vs. Royals
Here's a random idea:

With very similar records, NPB's Rakuten Golden Eagles (13-38) and MLB's Kansas City Royals (13-35) are both on pace to approach/break their respective league's record for most losses in a season (103 and 120 respectively). I think the two teams should play, and may the worst team lose.
Comments
Re: Eagles vs. Royals
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: May 29, 2005 10:59 PM ]

Actually, I think the if the Royals played the Chiba Lotte Marines in a 4-game series right now, the Marines would win at least 3 out of 4, or might even sweep. To me, the Marines look like the NBA's Phoenix Suns or the NFL's Kansas City Chiefs - they score a lot but they sure give up a lot also. But at least the Marines can score runs in bunches and can score fairly consistently, something the Royals can't do.

I said this before on another post, but when 50-something Matt Stairs (1993 Chunichi Dragons) is hitting cleanup for you, then you know you're in serious trouble. Starting catcher John Buck wouldn't even come close to .200 if he played in Japan, I think.

It's comforting to know that there are other Royals fans who post here, though. Let's hope they don't match the Mets' record for losses in a single season.
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: May 30, 2005 5:43 AM | HT Fan ]

- To me, the Marines look like the NBA's Phoenix Suns or the NFL's Kansas City Chiefs - they score a lot but they sure give up a lot also.

Err, a quick glance Yahoo Japan's standing table shows that the Marines have a team ERA of 2.61, by far the best in either league. They've allowed 42 fewer runs than the next best team, Softbank.
[ Author: Guest: Kenny | Posted: May 30, 2005 10:15 AM ]

My mistake. I didn't know that the Marines' team ERA was only 2.61. I was under the impression that they gave up a boatload of runs because I watched their recent series against the Giants where even a 7-run lead didn't seem safe as they engaged in a slugfest with the Evil Empire of Japan.

BTW, I can't believe how far Gabe Kapler has fallen. I think he could start for the Royals or maybe his old team, the Rockies, right now. I just can't believe the Giants signed him even though they have 3 studs in the outfield (Shimizu, Rhodes, and Takahashi).
[ Author: PLNara | Posted: May 30, 2005 12:16 PM | HT Fan ]

- I just can't believe the Giants signed [Kapler] even though they have 3 studs in the outfield (Shimizu, Rhodes, and Takahashi).

Yeah, I thought the same thing when they signed Kapler. The Giants have a way of picking up guys that don't fill an obvious hole on their team. Petagine is another example; Kokubo also, to a lesser extent. This is why the Giants haven't been as good the last couple years.
[ Author: Michael | Posted: May 30, 2005 7:51 PM | CLM Fan ]

Lotte Numbers:
          Lotte         Opp
Runs 6.31 2.97
Avg. .293 .224
Slg. .462 .350
OBP .361 .275
ERA 2.63 5.66
OT: Kapler
[ Author: Guest: John Brooks | Posted: May 30, 2005 11:41 PM ]

I can't believe the Giants are still sticking with Gabe Kapler. I thought he would be able to adjust, but it doesn't look like he will. I'm just glad the Giants finally came to their senses and have started to play Shimizu over him. So far Shimizu is batting .320 with 5 HR and 20 RBI. [Stats - NPB-BIS - in Japanese]
[ Author: holygoat | Posted: May 31, 2005 3:19 AM | HT Fan ]

At least the Eagles, being an expansion team, have an excuse. I've always kind of liked the Royals, but if they were to hit the 119 loss mark, it might lessen the sting of Detroit losing 119 in 2003.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: May 31, 2005 9:45 AM | HT Fan ]

- I think the two teams should play, and may the worst team lose.

Surely that game should also feature the most inept and myopic officials, be held at the worst dump of a ground in town, and the television coverage be called by the most ignorant and cringingly inane commentators of all time.
[ Author: holygoat | Posted: May 31, 2005 4:23 PM | HT Fan ]

- Surely that game should also feature the most inept and myopic officials, be held at the worst dump of a ground in town, and the television coverage be called by the most ignorant and cringingly inane commentators of all time.

C.B. Bucknor behind the plate at Tropicana Field with Hawk Harrelson and Darrin Jackson at the mic.
[ Author: Guest: JohnLeeBingham | Posted: Jun 7, 2005 5:20 AM ]

Hey! I resent your Hawk & DJ reference. We White Sox fans in Chicago love them, and think they are great! Is it the fact that they are homers that bothers you? They are the local broadcast team, and in Chicago, if you are not a homer, you are run out of town! We like our announcers to be fans!

Do not judge a local by outside values. It's the Chicago way!
[ Author: JRHANNON | Posted: Jun 1, 2005 6:55 AM | HT Fan ]

- MLB's Kansas City Royals (13-35) are both on pace to approach/break their respective league's record for most losses in a season (120).

No, they aren't. They're on pace to win 44 games (13/48 * 162), which would mean they'd lose 118, not 120.

Give them time, though.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.