Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Jack Cust

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Jack Cust
Jack Cust was just designated by the Padres. Would be a great pickup. His game and work ethic are perfect for Japan. He could hit 50 home runs over there.
Comments
Re: Jack Cust
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 17, 2007 9:56 PM | YBS Fan ]

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but I've never heard of the guy or any mention of him being given a tryout with a team over here. Do you have a primary source saying that he will be picked up by a team, or are you marketing him in the wrong place? (NPB scouts don't read this site.) I'm assuming that you're saying that Cust was "designated" to allow him to sign overseas, not because he failed to get a spot on the Padres' roster, correct?

And 50 home runs are predicted for a lot of foreigners who don't pan out, so why would Cust be any different? You don't say. Are you saying that his game is sound in fundamentals with no holes in his batting? That he enjoys taking a few hundred knock balls for infield practice just before games? That he's played in South America and adapted well to living in a foreign country before?

It's great that you're excited about Cust's future possiblities. But I've seen these near bragging posts before about many foreigners who have come and gone without leaving anything noteworthy. I need something more before I can share your excitement.
[ Author: Rokko Oroshi | Posted: Mar 18, 2007 12:19 AM | HT Fan ]

Jack Cust has played a total of 70 games over five MLB seasons with four teams. Only five games have come in the last three years! He is a career .222 hitter with 5 HR in 144 AB.

Not exactly Ruthian, Oh-san, or even Arias stats.

Sounds like "a big baseball fan" may be a graduate of the Jack Cust Baseball Academy<.a>

The Fog
[ Author: Guest: a big baseball fan | Posted: Mar 18, 2007 5:34 PM ]

It is interesting that you are only focusing on his limited major league numbers when he has never been given an opportunity to perform as a regular. Looking at his numbers from the minors are a better indicator. This kid hits whenever he plays regularly. He was hitting well over .300 and leading the Padres in doubles in spring training when they let him go. Not to mention the 30 bombs and near .470 on base last season.

I'm just a fan who knows talent when he sees it! I am not a graduate of any academy. I just see a kid who deserves his chance and can't wait to see his numbers when the chance comes.
[ Author: Guest: get over yourself | Posted: Mar 18, 2007 10:01 PM ]

Sounds like this is either Jack or someone really close to Jack typing this garbage. I'm not saying he can't play, but come on. Have you ever witnessed Japanese baseball? What makes you so sure he can play here period, let alone hit 50? I'm tired of people trying to promote themselves on this site.

Good luck Jack! Leading the Padres in doubles when the Pads let him go in spring camp, I'm sure a lot of people know that stat.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Mar 18, 2007 11:07 PM | CLM Fan ]

I gotta say, looking at the minor league stats, this guy fits the bill for a possible NPB candidate. Great numbers, but just can't translate it to major league level or can't get enough ABs for whatever reason. 140 walks is insane. I wouldn't mind Chiba Lotte picking him up. Definitely an upgrade over Watson and a possibly washed up Benny.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 18, 2007 5:39 PM ]

All you need to do to share my excitement would be to look at the stas. This is a kid hit 30 bombs last year and had an on base % of nearly .470.

The Padres let him go so he can have a chance to play everyday at the major league level or overseas. He was scouted heavily by several Japanese teams last year and there were many discussions this winter. Now would be a perfect time for him.

The kid has a tremendous work ethic and works hours per day year round to maintain and improve. I'm not bragging, I would just would like to see the kid get the chance he deserves.
[ Author: Guest: jack fan | Posted: Mar 18, 2007 10:03 PM ]

Keep typing Jack, or Jack's wife, or agent, or father. Let's go! It's probably easier to have your agent contact the teams. Not many people read this site.
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Mar 18, 2007 11:19 PM | CLM Fan ]

Nevermind. I don't know how mobile he'd be in the outfield. Could be Roberto Petagine style when he played for the Giants. I also don't like all those Ks throughout the career. Could put up some Ralph Bryant type K numbers in Japan.
[ Author: Mischa | Posted: Mar 18, 2007 11:28 PM | TYS Fan ]

Cust has been a stathead favorite for a few years. He has shown good power throughout the minors, topping 20 almost every year. I don't think he would be a bad risk for a NPB team as similar players have done well in the past. 50 HR sounds unrealistic to me, but a club like Hiroshima could benefit from his presence I think.
[ Author: Rokko Oroshi | Posted: Mar 19, 2007 1:19 AM | HT Fan ]

It appears that last season Cust played in a hitter friendly ballpark. Checking out the Minor League Splits site the "MLE" (Minor League Equivalencies) stats show his numbers are reduced drastically - 19 HR, 112 BB, 135 K, .274 Avg. and so on.

In addition, Baseball Analysts.com uses him as an example of "worst minor league defenders." So, maybe he is a possibility as a DH in a hitter friendly ballpark. But will a club take a chance on him?

The Fog
[ Author: Michael | Posted: Mar 20, 2007 6:36 AM | CLM Fan ]

(Oroshi-san) - He played at this stadium [Ballpark Watch] last year. 319 to left, 405 to center, 321 to right.

(Westbay-san) - Crust was not released, so this discussion is meaningless to start with.

From the San Diego Padres web site:
3/17/07 Sent OF Jack Crust outright to Triple-A Portland. He is on their AAA roster.
Under Designated for assignment [Wikipedia]
Out righted to the minors. A player who is out righted to the minors is removed from the 40-man roster but is still paid according to the terms of his guaranteed contract. A player can only be out righted once in his career without his consent.
(For a Baseball Fan) - 50 home run gaikokujin (foreign) hitters are rare in Japan. Unless I have missed one, only three gaikokujin have ever hit 50 home runs in the history of the league.

Randy Bass 54 in 1985 (his 3rd year in Japan), Alex Cabrera 50, 55 in 2002 & 2003 (2nd and 3rd years in Japan), Tuffy Rhodes 55 in 2001 (6th year in Japan) and 51 in 2003 8th year in Japan).
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Mar 20, 2007 8:02 AM | YBS Fan ]

That was a fantastic synopsis, Michael. Thank you.

P.S. Confirmed home runs in Record Book.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Mar 20, 2007 3:50 PM ]

I was waiting for someone to actually check the Padres' website, but I didn't want to ruin everyone's fun.

From what little I know about Cust, he might do well for a power-starved club such as Rakuten, let's say. Whether he has the dedication or desire to play in Japan is another story. To say he would come over and hit 50 HRs is unfounded. However, he certainly has shown some ability in the US minor leagues. At least that's my take.
[ Author: Guest: slaphitter | Posted: Mar 21, 2007 3:21 AM ]

Cust is an all or nothing, swing from the heels type (think Rob Deer or Russell Branyan) who knows how to take a walk. Such hitters usual do poorly in NPB.
[ Author: Guest: Watson | Posted: Apr 12, 2007 7:16 AM ]

I think Jack Cust is a really solid baseball player, and I also think his wife is terrific. I would love to see them come to Japan if they so desire. I'm sure Jack would be a wonderful addition to one of the teams.

I'm just not so sure that Jack would be an upgrade over Watson on the Chiba Lotte Marines. Matt's just come back from several muscle pulls in spring training and has just started to play regularly. I'm just a bit partial to giving Matt a chance to perform this year in the Marines' outfield. As his mom, I believe you can understand why.
[ Author: Guest: don | Posted: May 14, 2007 11:17 AM ]

Looks like all you folks bagging on Cust were right. He will not hit 50 homers in Japan. But he might hit 55 in The Show! Got to love it!
[ Author: Rokko Oroshi | Posted: May 21, 2007 3:25 AM | HT Fan ]

Touché, Don. Cust's current stats (thru May 19) are: 13 games, 42 AB, 13 Hits, 8 HR, 2 2B, 20 RBI, .929 SLG, and a .310 AVG. All are significantly above his previous MLB performance and All-Star stats. He may be another Billy Grabarkewitz. His complete current stats.

I'd like to order some humble pie, now.
[ Author: NipponHam11 | Posted: May 21, 2007 10:11 AM | SFT Fan ]

The good thing about Cust thus far is that he's hitting all these home runs in Oakland, which is typically a pitcher's park. However, there are a few cases of people who get off the fast starts when they're finally given their shot, then fall off the face of the earth.

Anybody remember that guy who had a ton of homers for Detroit in April of last season, then promptly started to stink up the joint and was sent back down to AAA?
[ Author: Guest: itsajack | Posted: May 21, 2007 12:26 PM ]

Chris Shelton. But keep in mind that Chris makes base pay, his replacement makes $4 million and can't be sent down. Chris hit 8 HRs last year in the same amount of innings as Sean Casey. Casey had 5 HRs last year and none so far this year. BA average for Chris was .281 last year and Casey's is .252. Who's better?

I've followed Casey when he was with Cincinnati and the Pirates, so I guess I'd take Casey for experience. But Chris is more fun to watch.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.