Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Toritani as Leadoff Hitter

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Toritani as Leadoff Hitter
Now that I'm no longer in Japan it's becoming hard to keep track of all the baseball news. I was surprised to see Toritani take over for Akahoshi at the top of the line-up. Can someone update me on when this happened and why? Judging from the first few games Toritani is on a roll, and the new role seems to suit him just fine. But I was just wondering, what was the reasoning behind it?

Thanks.
Comments
Re: Toritani as Leadoff Hitter
[ Author: Guest: Cheese | Posted: Apr 4, 2007 11:40 AM ]

Okada-kantoku experimented with the lineup during spring training and Toritani was hot in the lead-off spot, batting .385 with an OBP of .438 [NPB-BIS]. I'm guessing the manager is just thinking, if it's working, why change it?
[ Author: Guest: JR | Posted: Apr 5, 2007 4:59 PM ]

Yeah, I was at the kaimaku-sen in Osaka and was surprised to see that switch. If it's working great, but you would think you would still want Akahoshi's speed leading off. Does anyone know if he's still slowed down by last year's injury?
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Apr 6, 2007 8:49 AM | HAN Fan ]

So far Akahoshi seems to be doing fine. His speed seems to be as it was, and he is stealing bases comfortably. Akamatsu is also very fast, so the Tigers have someone in reserve if Akahoshi does have problems.
[ Author: Guest: Cheese | Posted: Apr 7, 2007 3:53 PM ]

Yeah, I know what you mean. Batting second is going to see less opportunities for Akahoshi to steal, but Toritani isn't going to clog the bases either.

Mentioning Akamatsu, I really liked watching him during spring training. Another talent trying to get a game in the Tigers' already congested outfield.

Enjoy the game at Tokyo Dome tonight Christopher. Let's hope they get it together after last night's shambles.
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Apr 8, 2007 12:28 PM | HAN Fan ]

Hi Cheese,

It was an exciting game with a great crowd. Lin did really well, but Nohmi was disappointing. He, I would suspect, is heading for the bullpen as soon as Andoh or Fukuhara is ready. Kubota looks much better, Williams still has to find his best form, but Fujikawa is awesome.

The Giants have a nicely balanced offense but lack the pitching - Kadokura seems to have added nothing.
[ Author: Guest: Cheese | Posted: Apr 9, 2007 10:43 PM ]

Hey Christopher,

Yeah it was a real edge of the seat game. I liked how Okada-kantoku went to the pen at the right times. Making changes for match ups rather than just introducing JFK in the 7th and giving them an inning each. Williams was having control issues. Is it just me or does Williams often looks shaky pitching at Tokyo Dome?
[ Author: Christopher | Posted: Apr 10, 2007 8:11 PM | HAN Fan ]

Hi Cheese

I always thought Kubota was more shaky. I don't think Williams has really gotten going so far this season as I saw him earlier on TV and he was not wonderful. On Saturday Kubota looked much more secure. What was frustrating was Sunday. Kojima and Egusa pitched well and got no support at all.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.