Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Shopping rules not fair in baseball's global market

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Shopping rules not fair in baseball's global market
Last Wednesday was a banner day for globalization in Major League Baseball. The league's top two Japanese stars - Ichiro Suzuki and Daisuke Matsuzaka - squared off in a game dominated by a Venezuelan - Felix Hernandez - who won with the help of two doubles by another Japanese player, Kenji Johjima.

An exciting sign of things to come - unless, of course, you happen to root for one of the 25 or so teams that will never be able to touch stars like Ichiro, Dice-K or the next Japanese Big Thing....

[Full Article: http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070418/REPOSITORY/704180302]

[Snipped on Apr 23, 2007 8:29 AM JST - Full article was not supposed to have been posted. Please read it at the provided link.]
Comments
Re: Shopping rules not fair in baseball's global market
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Apr 22, 2007 10:10 AM | HT Fan ]

Ah yes, but if a player like Matsui or Matsuzaka were forced to go through the draft, maybe he wouldn't bother. Why would a player of that caliber give up a successful career in Japan when there's a chance that he could end up playing for a small-market team? These guys don't insist on no-trade clauses in their contracts for nothing.

Also, don't you love the way the writer talks about baseball targeting the Far East as its next area of expansion. Excuse me? The game of baseball expanded to the Far East in the nineteenth century. I think he meant to say MLB - but that indicates the typical American baseball writer's viewpoint - that what's good for MLB is good for baseball.

Baseball in Japan has its own traditions and heroes, and I'd like to think that this latest effort by an American sports organization to take over the world will be fiercely resisted. If the major league clubs want Japanese players so badly, then let them pay a fair price for them!
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.