Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

New Whiting book due in April

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
New Whiting book due in April
Hello all,

I found this site while looking for more info on Japanese baseball in a language I can comprehend. I have read "You Gotta Have Wa" and have been waiting for the "sequel" (of sorts) ever since I flipped its last page. Well it looks like the prayers are answered. Whiting's new book is called "The Meaning of Ichiro: New Wave from Japan and the Transformation of Our National Pastime," and is supposed to deal with contemporary Japanase baseball and its influence on the U.S. ball.

I'm sorry if someone beat me to this. Probably yes, but another refreshing can't harm, eh.

Greets to all.
Comments
Re: New Whiting book due in April
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 7, 2004 1:43 AM | YBS Fan ]

Yes, he and others have mentioned the book in other threads. Furthermore, there are apparently a number of quotes from several of the regular posters here. So you can get a flavor of the book by reading more of this site. Although, the book will most likely flow a great deal better.
[ Author: Guest: Milos | Posted: Feb 7, 2004 12:59 PM ]

Ahhh cheers. Well, instead of opening a new topic, I'll ask here: What other books about Japanese baseball can be ordered online (apart from "Wa" and the forthcoming one)?

And also, is there an English translation of the "Reggie" manga which spawned Mr. Baseball the film?

Also, it isn't very easy to get any baseball reference material in western Europe - let alone Japanese baseball. Meh.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Feb 7, 2004 2:09 PM | YBS Fan ]

As for other books about Japanese baseball, please see the FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) on that topic. These are the ones that I know about, but I'm sure there are more.

I was kind of hoping that people would post book titles and authors here along with a review. But it didn't turn out that way. I seem to mainly attract people looking for information about books, very few people come back to share any new information they may have found.

As for manga, I'm sure a Google search will turn up something. There are a lot of English-based manga sites out there.
[ Author: Satchel | Posted: Mar 25, 2004 3:33 PM ]

The book is out, as was pointed out in another thread. I stumbled upon the book today in a Barnes & Noble. According to amazon.com it's not out yet, so I was pleasantly surprised.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.