Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Draft Lottery?

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Draft Lottery?
Did the teams announce which players they will enter as their lottery choices for today's draft? I think they did with the High School draft.
Comments
Re: Draft Lottery?
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Nov 19, 2007 10:33 AM | YBS Fan ]

Yes, Nikkan Sports (paper edition) has the first round and consolation round picks:
Team  Round 1           Consolation
YOM P Shota Ohba P Junpei Shinoda
CHU P Kohei Hasebe P Sohma Yamauchi
HAN P Shota Ohba P Hirokazu Shiranita
YOK P Shota Ohba P Yasutaka Hattori
HIR P Kohei Haseba P Junpei Shinoda
YAK P Mikinori Katoh P Yasutaka Hattori
NIP P Shota Ohba P Yasutaka Hattori
LOT P Kohei Hasebe P Yasutaka Hattori
SFT P Shota Ohba C Tadashi Ishimine
RAK P Kohei Hasebe OF Hiroyuki Oze
SEI P Mikinori Katoh P Yasutaka Hattori
ORX P Shota Ohba P Junpei Shinoda
Only two non-pitchers are being selected, both in the consolation round: catcher Tadashi Ishimine of Tokyo Joho University and outfielder Hiroyuki Oze of Kinki University.

Now, let me arrange this list by player to teams for a different perspective:
Round 1
Player Teams

Shota Ohba YOM, HAN, YOK, NIP, SFT, ORX
Kohei Hasebe CHU, HIR, LOT, RAK
Mikinori Katoh YAK, SEI

Colsolation
Yasutaka Hattori YOK, YAK, NIP, LOT, SEI
Junpei Shinoda YOM, HIR, ORX
Sohma Yamauchi CHU
Hirokazu Shiranita HAN
Tadashi Ishimine SFT
Hiroyuki Oze RAK
The draft is just a few hours away, so we'll know who goes where then. I guess these tables are good to know who the popular draft picks were this year.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Nov 19, 2007 11:46 AM ]

Thanks, that really does put a clear picture on what players are deemed to be the best.
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Nov 19, 2007 2:47 PM ]

Here is a link in Japanese to the live draft [SportNavi].
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Nov 19, 2007 1:34 PM ]

Is there a webcast of the Draft?
[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Nov 19, 2007 4:08 PM | CLM Fan ]

WOW! Nippon Ham selected Kazuhito Tadano with their #1 pick. I never saw that coming. Unbelievable. You know, I'm glad he's getting a chance in NPB, but the fans are going to have a field day with this move.

It's also interesting to see SoftBank and Rakuten getting a couple more high profile pitchers with Ohba and Hasebe. Rakuten is getting everybody they want with each draft. Yakult got Mikinori Katoh, so they've had a good draft this year, too.

I'm surprised Robert Booth wasn't picked. He's a tall half Japanese kid who can top out over 150 km/h. Maybe he's going into the Dodgers system after all.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.