Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

New Hiroshima Ballbark

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
New Hiroshima Ballbark
With all the talk about Akamatsu going to the Carp I went looking for some information regarding the long overdue new ballpark set to open in Hiroshima next year.

Apologies if these images have already been posted, I don't often drop by in the off season.Looks like they've followed the recent fashion in new Major League ballparks with the asymmetric design. Going by the above images, it's an attractive looking stadium.

Capacity will be 30,350. The dimensions are a bit more realistic than the old one with 101m in left - 122m in center - 100m in right. Should keep a few more of those routine fly balls inside the park that currently end up as home runs.
Comments
Re: New Hiroshima Ballbark
[ Author: Guest | Posted: Jan 10, 2008 5:53 PM ]

Nice pics, lookin' good! Sure beats that dump I remember going to a few years ago.
[ Author: Guest: Cardiff Carp | Posted: Jan 11, 2008 2:46 AM ]

Careful - one person's dump is another's Paradise!

I have fond memories of the easy walk from work on a summer's evening, sitting in the outfield drinking cold beer as a cooling breeze blew in from the Inland Sea, then the stagger home afterwards more often than not ruining the result!

A very basic stadium in many respects, but intimate, compact, and holding a lot of good memories.
[ Author: buymeabeer | Posted: Jan 11, 2008 12:55 PM | CLM Fan ]

As long as they keep the surface natural it should be alright. Infield grass - droooooool.

I miss going to games at Skymark.
[ Author: Guest: Dylan | Posted: Jan 11, 2008 8:52 PM ]

I agree with Cardiff. I have many fond memories of Hiroshima Shimin Kyujo. I liked the intimate atmosphere. I used to sit in the right field bleacher and had a lot of fun.
[ Author: Guest: Cheese | Posted: Jan 11, 2008 10:20 PM ]

Agreed, I've been to all the regular home grounds in Japan except Fullcast and Hiroshima's ballpark is definitely the coziest ballpark I've been to. You can get up nice and close to the action and its downtown location is very attractive.

In saying that, it's very rundown and it's definitely time to move on. If the new ballparks in the States are anything to go by, this will give the Carp a much needed boost in attendances, but it will be interesting to see if they implement better marketing strategies to continue the momentum when the novelty wears off, not to mention playing better than .500 ball.
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Jan 11, 2008 9:48 PM | YBS Fan ]

Not to ruin the nostalgia party, but I I was recently sent a set of artist images of the new facilities. Click on each photo for the full size.

[ Author: BigManZam | Posted: Jan 12, 2008 3:02 AM | CLM Fan ]

I like it a lot. It looks very MLB in style. I like the left field area, as it helps to give it character when compared to the other parks.
[ Author: rockfender | Posted: Jan 13, 2008 2:59 PM | HNHF Fan ]

I agree, very post-Camden Yards MLB style. I love the view of the mountains beyond the scoreboard, very scenic. My one complaint is the elevated bleachers section in right-center. I know that type of design is very in vogue among modern stadiums (the Phillies' Citizens Bank Park comes to mind), but it throws off the cohesion of the seating down the foul lines. Other than that, though, I think the design is a home run; hopefully we'll be seeing more Japanese teams return to outdoor stadiums following this example.

Never been to Hiroshima, but looks like there's another reason for me to visit!
[ Author: mijow | Posted: Jan 14, 2008 4:05 PM | HT Fan ]

It looks great. I'm interested to know how the placement of the stands will affect the wind flow and thus the number of home runs.

And a real grass infield, too. The only one in the Central League. I wonder how that will affect visiting teams. Might take a little time to get used to.
[ Author: firearmofmutiny | Posted: Jan 18, 2008 3:54 AM | CD Fan ]

I remember seeing the construction site from the JR Hiroshima station last year. I'm thinking of going back to Japan for about a week in 2009; if I go back, I must visit Hiroshima's new stadium. I already have the week picked out and everything. (Of course, knowing my luck, that week the Carp will be in the midst of a 9-game road trip, or I get tickets for the one game that they'll be at home, only for them to get rained out. :P)

Any word on the dimensions for this park? Hopefully it's not as dinky as the one they have now.
[ Author: Guest: Cheese | Posted: Jan 21, 2008 10:33 PM ]

Hi firearmofmutiny, I included the dimensions in the first post on this thread.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.