Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Livedoor Names

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Livedoor Names
Who came up with the Livedoor names? Pegasus? Green Leafs? Dreams? I don't know how anyone male over the age of 6 can say with a straight face "I'm a big Livedoor Rainbows fan." I was rooting for Livedoor to get the expansion team, but these names stink.

I could live with the Sharks or Dolphins. I'm already sick of the Eagles name (the rest were pretty awful).
Comments
Re: Livedoor Names
[ Author: westbaystars | Posted: Oct 25, 2004 8:49 AM | YBS Fan ]

They were part of a contest submitted by fans. These were the ones that made the final fan poll.

When I first read the names, my first thought was that a lot of female's submitted names into the "Name the Team" contest. If a large female demographic is the one participating, then wouldn't a pastel rainbow colored unicorn make a great mascot?

What I thought was rather underhanded of Rakuten was to choose a name after Livedoor posted their first stage naming contest results. They changed "Eagles" to "Golden Eagles" and made Eagles in with "su" in Katakara rather than the proper "zu." It remindes me of something my Dad told me about the Fast Food Wars of the 1970s: McDonalds would spend tons of money scoping out just the right place to put a new restaurant in a new area, then Kentucky Fried Chicken would build one across the street. It's easier being number two.
[ Author: Guest: steve | Posted: Oct 25, 2004 1:33 PM ]

Both of those answers make sense. I have witnessed a higher percentage of women at the Japanese game than the U.S. one, and Rakuten has been really sketchy.

I just can kinda tell if a franchise is gonna be decent by it's name. Like with the Diamondbacks and the Devil Rays. It's the same with color schemes. If there is a lot of purple or teal, I automatically hate the team. The Diamondbacks really test me because they have a good name and bad uniforms.
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Oct 26, 2004 3:32 PM | HT Fan ]

They're names that are likely to be very popular in Japan.

Firstly, they're English words but easily pronounced by Japanese people and well known to them, too.

Secondly, in many cases Japanese just don't go for aggressive-sounding names. While the long-standing teams copied the names of the MLB teams, look at the names of newer or recently-reorganised teams (but those without long traditions that would preclude a change in name): BlueWave, BayStars, etc. Even the name "Fighters" has a different connotation in Japanese to English. Here, it refers to showing some guts and putting in your best effort rather than pugilism.

Look at Japanese cars (esp. recent ones), for example: they all tend to lean towards polite, cute, peaceful images. On the other hand, take, for instance, the Diamondbacks. A diamondback is a kind of snake, right? Try naming a baseball team in Japan after a snake and see where it gets you.

For Japan, I think Golden Eagles, Rainbows, etc., are the kinds of names that people are going to like.
[ Author: Guest: steve | Posted: Oct 26, 2004 11:39 PM ]

I don't know if I really buy the fact that "Livedoor Green Leafs" is gonna be easy for a population that doesn't really use R or L very much (I'm trying not to stereotype but there is plenty of evidence out there to support me on this).

As for names, I get what you're saying, but didn't the last name change go from a celestial body (Orions) to a more militaristic name (Marines)?

Aren't they really looking for a name so they can have a cute mascot?
[ Author: canfan | Posted: Oct 26, 2004 3:17 PM ]

Yeah, those names are pretty awful. Sheesh, what were the fans thinking?! "Oh yeah, I play for the Tohoku Livedoor Foresters." Give me a break.
Sendai Livedoor Phoenix
[ Author: Guest: steve | Posted: Oct 27, 2004 1:17 AM ]

Sendai Livedoor Phoenix? I kinda like it, it's original, I'm from Phoenix, and it kinda has a nice poetic feel to it - a new franchise rising up from the ashes of an old one, like the mythical bird.

Torachiki, I meant no offense with the R. and L. thing. I hope none was taken. I apologize.
Re: Sendai Livedoor Phoenix
[ Author: torakichi | Posted: Oct 27, 2004 10:25 AM | HT Fan ]

Not at all.

Some people might not know: that although English words are used in Japanese, they sometimes take on different meanings; and that Japanese have different taste in names.

Anyway, your point was valid of course, and I wanted to add another aspect to the issue. I'm sure others will continue to do so, too.

It's not often we get to witness the birth of a completely new team, so it's an interesting topic. I guess that, especially after the acrimony of Nabetsune, the strike and whatnot, everyone is hoping that it will be done well and successfully.
[ Author: Guest: steve | Posted: Oct 27, 2004 6:19 PM ]

Go to www.vegelta.co.jp [in Japanese] and check out the symbol for Sendai's J-League team. Do you think Rakuten is ripping off them, too?

I know it's not gonna happen, but I'm really pulling for Livedoor. I hope Marty falls off the "Keen Edge."
[ Author: Guest: Heian-794 | Posted: Oct 28, 2004 1:39 AM ]

Steve, you're thinking of Vegalta [Working Link] with an "a," right? Ever since I saw them beat my Kyoto Purple Sanga at home earlier this year, I've never liked them.

I like the nickname "Eagles," but why the intentionally-incorrect katakana?
[ Author: Guest: eatsleepcricket | Posted: Oct 28, 2004 3:09 PM ]

You've gotta love Vegalta Sendai's fans. Nigh on 20,000 turn up every week, even when the home team is getting hammered. Respect. If the new baseball team gets anywhere near that level of support, it'll be up-and-up for Tohoku pro sports.

Did anyone else see the cartoon in Nikkan Sports on Sunday? The managers of the two prospective franchises were talking in samurai language or something, going on about "washi-wa this" and "washi-wa that"? Well, I thought it was funny anyway.
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.