Adjust Font Size: A A       Guest settings   Register

Japanese Baseball Stats

Discussion in the Open Talk forum
Japanese Baseball Stats
Hi,

I don't know if any of you are aware of the Diamond Mind baseball game, but I'm looking to create a database of Japanese baseball players based on their career stats for inclusion.

I have purchased a book I've been recommended, "Japanese Baseball: A Statistical Handbook" by Daniel E Johnson. It contains batting and pitching stats for all Batting Championship and Earned Run Average Championship qualifiers for the seasons 1936-1997, plus all-time records, and a list of some 120 players who have been elected into the Japanese Baseball Hall of Fame. Unfortunately, the book does not list fielding stats or playing position, and does not really help with some of the subjective stats.

I would be very interested in help and advice on where I can find the following:
  • Fielding stats for Japanese players, both career and season by season
  • Career Total Batting stats for Japanese players
  • Career Total Pitching stats for Japanese players
  • Positions played stats for Japanese players
  • Photos of Japanese players

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help or point me in the right direction.

Stuart Hughes
www.fodfbl.co.uk"

Comments
Re: Japanese Baseball Stats
[ Author: Guest: Jim Albright | Posted: Nov 11, 2004 1:08 AM ]

The fielding stuff is hard to come by the way you want it, at least if you don't read Japanese. Their Encyclopedia only has errors and games played by position (outfield not separated), besides being pricey. For hitting stats, I'd suggest this site [Japan Baseball Daily Data Warehouse].

An alternative in book form is Carlos Bauer's book, The All-Time Japanese Baseball Register (through 1999) which is available here [Robs Japanese Cards], along with packs of individual season stats which include fielding.

Michael Westbay has provided defensive stats for the past two or three years in the player section of this very site. After that, the data is somewhat sparse.

I have some, but I'm not interested in giving it away for free (I'd want copying costs plus shipping costs plus $7 an hour for doing it all, most of it in advance - not exhorbitant, but not terribly cheap, either - and I'm not going to do it for many people since there are many other things I'd rather do, like spend time with my 3 year old or write more articles).

Hope this helps.

Jim Albright
About

This is a site about Pro Yakyu (Japanese Baseball), not about who the next player to go over to MLB is. It's a community of Pro Yakyu fans who have come together to share their knowledge and opinions with the world. It's a place to follow teams and individuals playing baseball in Japan (and Asia), and to learn about Japanese (and Asian) culture through baseball.

It is my sincere hope that once you learn a bit about what we're about here that you will join the community of contributors.

Michael Westbay
(aka westbaystars)
Founder

Search for Pro Yakyu news and information
Copyright (c) 1995-2024 JapaneseBaseball.com.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.
Some rights reserved.